What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Filemanager / pdf / office docs

Codewarrior

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an app for the iPad that can organize files on a iPad and handle the editing of the office type app's specifically excel spreadsheets?

ThreeWulfMoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Documents to Go syncs with Dropbox and allows you to store documents locally without going through iTunes. It handles spreadsheets pretty well. It also does an ok job with PDFs. Give it a look to see if it will meet your needs.

Also, Goodreader has a fairly robust file manager that opens a lot of document types (viewing only in good reader, but have option to open files in other programs) and supports organization by folders.

naman919

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm interested in a general file manager. what other suggestions can people throw out? app shopper shows a good amount of them under utilities and without a refund policy I'd like some feedback. tia.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm interested in a general file manager. what other suggestions can people throw out? app shopper shows a good amount of them under utilities and without a refund policy I'd like some feedback. tia.

Well you see. The iPAD is not a computer.
to mention the term "File Manager" with the term iPAD is close to "Blasphemy"..

On my PC (Win7) I am using "Total Commander" 7.56a .
In my wildest dream I can't see iPAD of even a MAC get close to it.

But as long as we know the limitation, we keep loving it (the iPAD)

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Total commander was a great clone of midnight commander. Fond memories of both over the years.

He's right though.
Why a file manager, is there some obscure action you wish to enact which the current OS can't handle?
Personally I haven't found one myself but you never know what demands are being made on the device. Just curious.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I agree. What files, if you've been using an Ipad, would you want to manage? For docs and spreadsheets, a number of good apps with Dropbox, for pdfs there is Goodreader and others (and I also copy a lot of other files to Goodreader and organize with folders, backed up by Dropbox), but beyond that apps are how things are done on the Ipad. Its what makes it accessible for almost everyone. You don't have to understand file management if you don't already &>)

Hal05154

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You know, I'm willing to bet that naman919 is a Windows user and is not used to cloud based file management like Dropbox. I come from that camp. On my windows computer I use file manager ALL the time to shift files between computers, and it's taken me some time to wrap my head around the new way of doing things on my iPad. File management through things like Google Docs, Dropbox and iTunes is a new way of doing things for lots of people.

Loosen up all and don't be so critical to the new guys & gals. Just explain the sitution. File managements isn't extactly a "how do get online" or "how do I find cracked apps" type of noob question.

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see the same frustrations on the Android forums. I'm new to iPad but having adopted Android many moons ago it was simple to make the switch. Both platforms function off the cloud and while Android allows you to mount the device and use a file manager, it is awkward at best. Once you embrace the cloud these devices become much more friendly. But as other posters have mentioned, they do not replace a desktop or laptop. They are an extension of the laptop and that's it. You no longer sync your device to your desktop per se. You sync to a server that your desktop also syncs to. This way both devices are up to date in real time...no matter where you are. Yes, iTunes allows you to sync to your desktop, but it does a crappy job of it. Learn to sync all your clients, including your desktop or laptop, to the cloud servers and understand that there is no "file system" to manipulate on the iPad. You manipulate it on your desktop and then it syncs those manipulations and suddenly your iPad matches it.

I use a combonation of Dropbox, Docs 2 Go and iTunes to sync as well as exchange mode on my Exchange Server. My Droid phone, iPad and laptop all show the exact same data all the time. I can edit on Word on my laptop or Docs 2 Go on the phone or iPad. Only drag about Docs 2 Go is I have to initiate a sync when I get back to my laptop. Everything else just stays synced using PUSH.

Let go of the USB Umbilical cord. It is only needed for charging now. YEAH!

Nate

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Your best bet would be Dropbox account and Documents to go Premium. DTGP will interface and sync directly with the Dropbox cloud, which will sync directly to any number of PCs you install the Dropbox client on. I am keeping 4 devices synced up together.

Goodreader is an excellent choice, especially for the price. It can do a lot of stuff, and I use it all the time.

naman919

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You know, I'm willing to bet that naman919 is a Windows user and is not used to cloud based file management like Dropbox. I come from that camp. On my windows computer I use file manager ALL the time to shift files between computers, and it's taken me some time to wrap my head around the new way of doing things on my iPad. File management through things like Google Docs, Dropbox and iTunes is a new way of doing things for lots of people.

Loosen up all and don't be so critical to the new guys & gals. Just explain the sitution. File managements isn't extactly a "how do get online" or "how do I find cracked apps" type of noob question.

I'm a windows and Mac user and chromeOS beta tester. I have a cr-48 with ONLY cloud based storage. keep your pretentious comments to yourself please.

I have plenty of reasons for a file manager. for example, i cannot delete photos on the fly from the native app. annoying. a file manager would allow me to manually delete the file on the go.

I use dropbox as an alternative storage with management but I have found dumb things like the photo example that spring up and could be fixed with a simple file manager.

these apps do exist and are in the market. my question was which one people preferred in my situation. if you don't require the use of one then feel free to pass this thread. none of the responses to my question were helpful or appropriate.

if you don't have constructive criticism or anything to contribute go help another thread. just because I'm new to this forum doesn't imply I'm a tech neophyte.

Last edited:

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So you're being a jerk is somehow justified by our making an assumption based on the fact you did not provide us with enough informaiton to make an appropriate suggestion? Why don't you simply RTFM and figure it out yourself?

Nate

naman919

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So you're being a jerk is somehow justified by our making an assumption based on the fact you did not provide us with enough informaiton to make an appropriate suggestion? Why don't you simply RTFM and figure it out yourself?

Nate

go back and read my original posts. i stated my question clearly and then was attacked by several members. and "RTFM"?! are you serious?

aren't these the same forum mods that run Droidforums.net. your comment is ban worthy.

if you aren't a part of the solution you're part of the problem.

mods please close this thread before it gets out of hand. I will resort to another venue for a solution.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Naman, i went back and read the whole thread, and you were the wine who started with the attacks. You quoted Hal and blew up in a defensive post giving your background and whatnot, coming across as an arse. Hal knew nothing about you and made an assumption based on the average user asking the same exact question you didn't bother to search for. He was actually on your side...

After that, you started being the 'they are making fun of me, stop them' posts... I don't think the mods are here for your postal feelings, especially one who starts the animosity.

Go do a search, there is plenty of info already. That is, if the posts above, including mine, which offer solutions are 'just not good enough' for you.

Most reactions

Latest posts