What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

file transfers without sync and folder management.

redindian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. Is it possible to create folders under the video icon and drop and copy files both ways ipad/pc without having to sync with itunes, iexplore cannot find path to the videos, any other recommeded apps free or paid.

2. Can i create folders in camera roll and move files from camera roll into other albums, from my research it seems this not possible, the additional folders can be created which keep a short cut to the camera roll, is that correct.

3. Similar to 1, can i transfer videos into the photo folder without sync and create additional folders on the ipad.

Can i acheive these with ifile, photo sort, ipad file explorer or something similar?

Thanks.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
1. Is it possible to create folders under the video icon and drop and copy files both ways ipad/pc without having to sync with itunes, iexplore cannot find path to the videos, any other recommeded apps free or paid.

2. Can i create folders in camera roll and move files from camera roll into other albums, from my research it seems this not possible, the additional folders can be created which keep a short cut to the camera roll, is that correct.

3. Similar to 1, can i transfer videos into the photo folder without sync and create additional folders on the ipad.

Can i acheive these with ifile, photo sort, ipad file explorer or something similar?

Thanks.

I don't see creating a shortcut in a folder rather than moving the file is a problem. I'm not making excuses for iOS, it just seems to acceptable to me.

Other than that, the iOS file system is just not generally accessible as you find in Windows Mobile and Android, something that I and many others find quite irksome.

OP
R

redindian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Other than that, the iOS file system is just not generally accessible as you find in Windows Mobile and Android, something that I and many others find quite irksome.

Does that mean Its not possible to do 1 or 3 even with apps or external software?

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does that mean Its not possible to do 1 or 3 even with apps or external software?

I don't believe what you desire is possible.

As an alternative, there ARE apps out there that play videos and view picturse, and also have the ability to create folders and sub-folders. Unfortunately, pictures and videos associated with these apps are, generally, not available to view with the built-in iPad video and picture apps.

With regards to bypassing iTunes, my experience is that you can connect the iPad to a computer via USB cable, at which point you have access to the pictures folder. From this you can drag-and-drop photos only. Some apps allow file transfer without iTunes, but such files would be available only to those apps, and not the video and picture apps that are built in to the iPad.

Or you could use something like a drop box account and app to transfer files, but this does not allow you to create folders under the camera roll or video icon.

The app I use that does much of what you ask about is fileapp pro. There are others, but I have no direct experience.

Most reactions

Latest posts