What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

File manager

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I find Apple's approach in iOS to work fairly well for the tasks I undertake on my iPad

I have reached the opposite conclusion. Besides the possible security benefit, I find the apple approach to file management to be something to be worked around. Certainly, I do not find it to be a strength, or even that it works fairly well.

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just to add my two cents of nonsense from my two-bit memory banks, I think that the biggest bane of Windows is that $&&@&$!! registry. When you uninstall a piece of software, the uninstaller typically does not remove all the registry keys. For that reason, I almost always run a utility called File Cleaner to clean up all the stray garbage.

As a recent returnee to the Mac World after a long apostasy to the Dark Side, I have been so pleasantly surprised at how easy it is on my new Mac Mini. I have it set up as a dual boot system, with a small amount of real estate devoted to Win 7. My wife always knows when I am "on that side of the house" by the change in vocabulary that comes from my study! When I boot up the Mac OS, I'm sure I always wear a grin. But when I uninstall something, I still have that uneasy feeling that I still need to do some cleanup---until I remember that I am on a Mac.

Of course a bit MORE flexibility for file transfer on the iPad would be nice. It is just a little TOO spartan.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think that there are those who accept, or even like, the "walled garden" and those who don't. I am in the latter group. It's the sort of topic about which the most of us will not change our opinion easily.

I understand the pros and cons of the walled garden but the concept of the file system not being fully exposed simply doesn't conform to my expectations of a computing device.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have reached the opposite conclusion. Besides the possible security benefit, I find the apple approach to file management to be something to be worked around. Certainly, I do not find it to be a strength, or even that it works fairly well.

Different strokes for different folks. If I relied upon my iPad for more complex computing tasks or integration with the other components of my home/work systems, I'd be inclined to agree.

Most reactions

Latest posts