What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

File manager

Chappydean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a new iPad 2 owner have researched software for managing the iPad. Appears 'Goodreader' is about the only option. Is this still the concensus here?

I believed all the hype and mistakenly purchased iPad 2 Mate by 4videosoft. Anyone else try to use it? Any success?

Thanks.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As a new iPad 2 owner have researched software for managing the iPad. Appears 'Goodreader' is about the only option. Is this still the concensus here?

I believed all the hype and mistakenly purchased iPad 2 Mate by 4videosoft. Anyone else try to use it? Any success?

Thanks.

In addition to GoodReader, I use FileBrowser. The former is good for managing documents (PDF, DOC etc) and the latter from accessing external drives, copying files etc. The lack of a file manager is still irksome. My 4 year old Windows Mobile phone and my new Android phone have file managers but not the iPad or iAnything..

OP
C

Chappydean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SJLEWORTHY, I would like to manage my iPad directories and files. I want to move video, audio, documents to and from PC to iPad and back. Not thru iTunes or anyother locked down AppleStrussel.

RAC, Thanks for answering what I asked. This is my first iDevice. All my other devices are androids and a simple file manager allows access to directories, transfering files to and from PC a snap. This is a good forum and from reading here, appears that Apple successfully has locked down their OS, all under the guise of streamlining and speed. <sic> The Linux style Android has much more flexibility. Beginning to think I should stay far away from iAnything. Expensive lesson.

Thanks for the responses.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SJLEWORTHY, I would like to manage my iPad directories and files. I want to move video, audio, documents to and from PC to iPad and back. Not thru iTunes or anyother locked down AppleStrussel.

RAC, Thanks for answering what I asked. This is my first iDevice. All my other devices are androids and a simple file manager allows access to directories, transfering files to and from PC a snap. This is a good forum and from reading here, appears that Apple successfully has locked down their OS, all under the guise of streamlining and speed. <sic> The Linux style Android has much more flexibility. Beginning to think I should stay far away from iAnything. Expensive lesson.

Thanks for the responses.

I certainly sympathize with your view. It should be noted, however, that Apple's "locked down" approach to managing data from within a particular app does have significant benefits other than the (PR-based) claim that it's easier for users. For example...

() By putting data completely under the control of a particular app, the OS is much better protected from the effects of viruses and malware. The "walled garden" design essentially means that it is very, very difficult for infected data files to produce problems outside of the control of the app that manages the data. This, I think is the mainly unstated virtue of Apple's design. But the fact that virus and malware protection is literally unneeded on the iPad is not an insignificant benefit.

() Along the same line, uninstalling an app in iOS is a very clean operation since it clears both the app and all the data associated with that app. Since you seem to be familiar with Android, you may well have found that uninstalling apps sometimes leaves traces scattered throughout the file system. That is much less likely in iOS. And because it doesn't happen, users are spared the often tedious task of figuring out where files come from, what they do, and whether they can be safely removed.

The bottom line is that an iOS user does trade ease of management for customizability and the ability to interface easily with a PC at the level of a common file system. If those are priorities for you on a tablet you are far better off with an Android tablet since Apple is very unlikely to change its strategy and "jailbreaking" is becoming more and more difficult to accomplish. Personally, I put up with the limitations of iOS (and they DO drive me nuts) because I already have about half a dozen computing devices in my household that I must manage. My iPad places virtually no administrative burden on me compared even to my wife's and my Android phones. And in return for that simplicity I put up with some of the (often ridiculous) workarounds when I need to move data from/to the iPad.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well said jsh1120. :thumbs: Just to add to that...I'm not sure what the aversion to iTunes might be but it's no different than using any other app to manage files. I can move files to and from my iPad with ease either through iTunes and the specific app with which I want to use the files and/or Dropbox. I can transfer files tethered or via Wi-Fi. It's practically seamless and it works perfectly. I have a couple of dedicated file managing apps for my iOS devices, but rarely ever find a need to use them. The iPad can always be jailbroken for folks wanting more flexibility, but again when it comes to file management, it's not something I've ever needed. YMMV of course.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Along with goodreader I use readdledocs, but only for PDF and txt files. Works well for me creating folders and subfolders.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Along the same line, uninstalling an app in iOS is a very clean operation since it clears both the app and all the data associated with that app.

You consider this a benefit!? I, generally, want to be able to remove an app and KEEP my data. This is a real nuisance to me.

By putting data completely under the control of a particular app, the OS is much better protected from the effects of viruses and malware.

Sounds plausible to me and, indeed, a benefit if true.

.I'm not sure what the aversion to iTunes might be but it's no different than using any other app to manage files.

Given that one must use an app to manage files, I, too, fail to see why there appears to be such widespread aversion to iTunes. It has worked well for me, given the file management limitations of the iPad.

On the other hand, those with more than one computer run into a real limit to iTunes if they value swapping data among the iPad and those multiple computers. As far as I can tell, one can only register the iPad to a single computer through iTunes.

The bottom line is that an iOS user does trade ease of management for customizability and the ability to interface easily with a PC at the level of a common file system.

If by "PC" you mean windows AND OSX machines, I agree that this seems to me the trade one must make to join the iPad club.

Beginning to think I should stay far away from iAnything.

If the ability to move files back and forth through windows explorer or OSX finder is non-negotiable, then you should stay away from iOS devices. If you can be flexible and work around these limits, I suspect you will find things to like about the iPad.

By the way, in addition to iTunes, I use dropbox and fileapp pro. Fileapp pro allows the creation of folders and the transfer of data between computer and iPad. One thing that has struck me about the iPad is that the apps generally do what they say, and look good doing so. I suppose they would not be allowed in the app store if this were not the case. Search the app store for a file manager that performs a function you value for a price you are willing to pay, and proceed with confidence.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is a potentially inflammatory topic in iWorld, but here are my thoughts.

Now that I have my, very nice, Samsung Galaxy S II phone, I can evaluate iOS versus Android and I have no doubt that it will influence my next tablet choice.

Interestingly, my previous phone was Windows Mobile which I chose because the iPhone 1 has just been released and I try to avoid 1.0 editions. When it came time to replace it, I chose the Galaxy S II, largely on price. The iPhone 4 is AU $800 and the Galaxy is officially just over AU $720, not cheap enough to sway me. However, I had no trouble getting it for AU $520 online, definitely enough to induce me try it. So far I am VERY happy with it.

If I get a virus or malware on the phone I may change my mind of course:).

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow this topic's a blast from the past.
In the early days of IPF it was consistent concern with enormous threads. Now it's a rarity.

Is Window's conditioning slowly dying out?

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You consider (the deletion of data when uninstalling an app to be) a benefit!? I, generally, want to be able to remove an app and KEEP my data. This is a real nuisance to me.

Sorry. I should have been more specific. If you've ever worked with a Windows PC you're probably familiar with trying to uninstall an application and being informed that "not all the files associated with this application can be removed. You must delete them manually." In fact there is an entire software product category devoted to removing traces of previously uninstalled applications in the Windows environment. Much the same problem occurs when some Android apps are uninstalled except that the user is not informed that various files have not been removed by the uninstall process. My impression (and in the absence of a file manager it's difficult to be sure) is that the iOS architecture avoids this problem.

As far as deleting "content," it's true, of course, that if one removes the app in the iOS environment you must export the data associated with the app before removing it if you want to preserve that content. But given the proprietary character of many apps' data storage formats once you've deleted the app that created and accesses the content, what is the point of keeping the data? As an analogy, imagine having a PC full of .xls files and no speadsheet application.

Note that I'm not defending Apple's approach here. You're absolutely correct that it can lead to problems if you delete an app without having backed up the content you've created and want to preserve. I'm just noting that the approach is consistent with Apple's prioritization of ease of use (for most consumers) over flexibility. As I indicated, I often find their approach to be annoying at best. But I, like the OP, am familiar with managing a file system on a computer. Apple doesn't design their systems, especially those running on iOS, primarily for folks like us.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As an analogy, imagine having a PC full of .xls files and no speadsheet application.

Yes, fair point. For data that can be read by only one app, this is true.

However, I have very little data that can be read only by a single app. Think pictures...videos...pdf...yes, xls spreadsheet...documents...Nearly all can be read by a variety of apps.

OP
C

Chappydean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to each who took the time to post here. I am learning as I go and this is intelligent conversation with pros and cons for consideration. We all know that we can not be satisfied on all points and in the end enjoin that which comes the closest. The Windows platform PC is the standard to date. I do appreciate it.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, fair point. For data that can be read by only one app, this is true.

However, I have very little data that can be read only by a single app. Think pictures...videos...pdf...yes, xls spreadsheet...documents...Nearly all can be read by a variety of apps.

Again, a fair point. Of course, iOS gets around this problem by storing separate copies of documents with each app that can access them. Don't get me wrong; that creates problems of its own, most obviously that of trying to keep the various copies in sync with one another. And if one stores, say, a pdf remotely, uninstalling an app that accesses it does not delete the remotely stored data. Of course, that entails using Dropbox, iCloud, or some other remote storage facility.

Design is always a task that involves setting priorities and making compromises. Apple, Microsoft, and Google all set different priorities and incur different compromises. As already noted, I find Apple's approach in iOS to work fairly well for the tasks I undertake on my iPad. However, I wouldn't think of using the iPad as my primary/master computing environment; iOS is no more suited for that than my Mazda RX-8 is for hauling stuff to the dump.

Most reactions

Latest posts