What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

File Management on Android V iOS

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The difference is that on Android you have complete access to the file system but on iOS you don't. My interest is to be able to back up photos from my camera's SD card while travelling.

With iOS you plug the SD card in via the Camera Connection Kit and the files are automatically copied to the Camera Roll, internal memory only. JPEGs are visible but RAW files are not. I think that iOS is smart enough to copy only new files the next time. I think also that these days, files (JPEG & RAW) can be copied off Camera Roll using the host computer's file manager when the iPad is connected via USB.

On my Andoid phone I can plug in a 32 GB Micro SD card and create folders as I like, usually one per subject with subdirectories for JPEG and RAW. I can plug in a mini SD card reader via USB and use a file manager to select and copy first JPEGS, to one destination then RAW files to another. I am asked whether to replace existing files or not.

Perhaps I am being inflexible, but Android definitely suits my workflow better.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yay! You should be happy now?

I moved your thread to our Off Topic ~ since it doesn't have anything to do with the iPad. :)

Yes finally, after 18 months trying to get what I want out of the iPad in this regard, it was very simple on an Android device.

At 20 MB (JPEG + RAW) per photo that's 1,600 on a photos 32 GB card, more than enough per trip. Think that I can share the directory over WiFi and view them on the iPad, something the iPad is better at.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I moved your thread to our Off Topic ~ since it doesn't have anything to do with the iPad. :)

I am not so sure that this is Off Topic by the way. This is a feature (i.e. the "Walled Garden" or "Sandbox") of iOS that catches many new iPad users out. Most would expect an open file system and wouldn't even think to ask questions on the subject.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The difference is that on Android you have complete access to the file system but on iOS you don't.

Hold on there guy . . . Android users must still root their devices to gain administrative access. Without rooting, you are prevented from doing some things. No Android root, no access; rather no "complete" access.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am not so sure that this is Off Topic by the way. This is a feature (i.e. the "Walled Garden" or "Sandbox") of iOS that catches many new iPad users out. Most would expect an open file system and wouldn't even think to ask questions on the subject.

Never heard the term, Walled Garden. We all know it (as does Apple) as the Sandbox.

Many Android users (perhaps most) rapidly become tired of the games and bloatware most manufacturers add to our phones. In my case, I had a deep hatred to Midnight Bowling and a few other things I wanted dead. No way to get rid of these things unless you root. So Android is not as open as you seem to think it is. Without rooting, you do not have full access.

madeSICC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is by far my biggest complaint about ios. I am a android user and loved them. I got the ipad2 as a gift from my boss. I could of got any tablet i wanted but chose this due to the amazing battery life (which still blows my mind).
I have never used a ios device to any real depth and when i got this the first thing i did was look for the best file explorer, nothing i could find and then i searched to find no answers. I just dont understand how something this powerful has no way to explorer the data partition.
I have a handful of things i cant understand about this tablet but this by far is my biggest.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Yay! You should be happy now?

Cmon now, you know that can't happen. ;)

Anyways, as an avid user of both iOS and Android, and a manager for Best Buy, I've seen all sides of this argument. You want to break from the walled garden? Jailbreak.

Sent from the Droid... The one you were looking for...

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
freebird you always crack me up! I am a confessed iOS gal, with of course the iPhone 4S now, and happily using my iPad 1, even after being offered the 2 as a gift this year. My 1 remains awesome. But Apple fangirl that I am, I ended up being presented with a new gift: A Samsung Galaxy Tablet, 7 inch plus running Honeycomb. It will never have all the apps I have on my iOS as I'm not going to invest double, but I have freeware ones, and will likely add a few purchased here and there too, like a save to pdf, or pdf annotator; in my case, too I am enjoying the size of this Android tablet for much of my needs as I often use my iPad at night to read and get tired of holding it up. I confess that I like having an e-reader size that is a 100% full tablet and quite portable. I have no intention of rooting it either, but it does have features my iPad doesn't have, so I'm finding that I can have fun in both worlds too. I am using both devices, and on my iPad right now, but also downloaded the iPF Android app to my Samsung, so I may occasionally post from it! But I won't crow about it, as after all, this is an iPad forum, just that I had no problem accepting an Android tablet as a gift and can enjoy both, while still being quite an iOS fan girl!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts