What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

File browser/manager on iPad

Rushh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

New on this forum and this is my first post...

Sorry if this information is already on there somewhere, but i tried to find and couldn't ..

Here goes..
I am looking for an App for my Jailbroken iPad1 , which i can use to browser the entire file system on the iPad. (like how it appears when you SSH to the iPad from your PC).

So , is there an app like this - free or paid whichever. Just want the freedom to transfer files from one folder to another on the iPad..

Hoping to get some help soon!

Thanks.,

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have moved your post to the Hacking section, where I think it will receive better attention.

Just in case no one else responds, I believe there is an app called 'iFile', available from the Cydia app store, that will do what you want. I am not a JB person myself, so I hope that someone else more knowledgeable than me can respond.

Tim

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tim was bang on the money, even though he is not a jailbreaker! Good effort Tim :)

There really is only one app you should consider and that is iFile. You won't be disappointed. It is absolutely the essential jailbreak app if you want to manage your files on the device!

OP
R

Rushh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick replies guys!

I already have iFile, although i can only see 4 folders (Document/movie/music/pictures)... Is there any way i can see root folders and everything..

I may be missing something very obvious here, so apologies in advance !!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does your screen not look like this? Click on Disk and you get to the root of the FS?

Attachments

• image-4208316974.png
    image-4208316974.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,019
OP
R

Rushh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OH GOD!!

I think i have the wrong app. I got this app called 'iFile' , ... but now it seems this is not the right one.
Now i am downloading the iFile from Cydia, which i believe is what you are talking about.!

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, sorry. It must be the Cydia app! LOL. Have fun with it when you get it!

OP
R

Rushh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another question related to iFile (and the file system on the iPad)...
If i want to find a file using the normal search of the iPad (swiping right) , which folder can i add 'a file' (random file, photo, mp3, etc) so that this search feature finds the file. Is there any way ?

Hope i m clear in my query..

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rushh said:
Another question related to iFile (and the file system on the iPad)...
If i want to find a file using the normal search of the iPad (swiping right) , which folder can i add 'a file' (random file, photo, mp3, etc) so that this search feature finds the file. Is there any way ?

Hope i m clear in my query..

Spotlight doesn't search anywhere but your apps, music synced from or downloaded from iTunes, pics, and movies, and inside like the contacts app. Doesn't allow filesystem searching. But ifile does. Tap on "disk" on the navagaion pane, the on the right swipe your finger down and the search bar will appear.

copter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there an app like ifile for non Jailbroken devices? I'm really missing ifile on my iPad 2. :(

Fr0st

iPF Noob
Reaction score
copter said:
Is there an app like ifile for non Jailbroken devices? I'm really missing ifile on my iPad 2. :(

Afraid not...you need to wait for a JB buddy... I can't imagine what you are feeling lime at the moment:(

BTW, did the OP finally find the correct iFile? He hasn't updated us:eek:

uniquename

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found the right ifile, but after purchasing I can't download (I'm not the op). Curia says it cannot find and I may need to fix manually. My purchase shows, but I don't know what to do. Ideas?

Oops-found the answer. Cydia does not like when you open it and cancel the updates running at the top of the screen. Re-launched cydia, let that run, and the package was available to download.

Now to look at the file system :D

Last edited:
OP
R

Rushh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
fr0st: Yes, i did find the right iFile and also purchased the full version for search features, etc..

Thanks everyone..

Most reactions

Latest posts