What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

File browser for unbroken ipad

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is There a file browser that allows you to look at apps 'documents' folders and copy and paste to them?

Say for example I put a film on an sd card (using the dcim trick) and then I wanted to play it in av player, I there an app that would allow me to do this? Or do I just click on the file and choose open in? Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is There a file browser that allows you to look at apps 'documents' folders and copy and paste to them?

Say for example I put a film on an sd card (using the dcim trick) and then I wanted to play it in av player, I there an app that would allow me to do this? Or do I just click on the file and choose open in? Thanks

Under the iPad's operating system, iOS, one app does not have access to another app's file space. So such a filebrowser could never be written for a non-jail broken iPad because it could not see another app's filespace.

Apps can indirectly open files that are held in another app's filespace though. An app can register its ability with iOS to process a certain type of file format and then another app, using the 'Open in' or 'Open With' facility in iOS can 'offer' a file, sitting in its own file space, to another app - via iOS - to be opened in an app or apps that have registered their ability to process that type of file.

This is how the app GoodReader works. It basically tells iOS that it can, more or less, process any type or format of file (even if it can't). It can then import that format of file from an email attachment or similar source. Once it has the file, it can then determine whether it really is able to process it - for example PDFs, .doc, .zip etc. Those it can't it simply files waiting for an app to be available that can process it and has registered its ability to do this with iOS. Then, when you select that format file, you'll get the offer to open it in a compatible app.

But I digress....:( - I'm afraid that GoodReader is the closest you'll get but no app can directly read another app's filespace....

Tim

OP
addiosamigo

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Under the iPad's operating system, iOS, one app does not have access to another app's file space. So such a filebrowser could never be written for a non-jail broken iPad because it could not see another app's filespace.

Apps can indirectly open files that are held in another app's filespace though. An app can register its ability with iOS to process a certain type of file format and then another app, using the 'Open in' or 'Open With' facility in iOS can 'offer' a file, sitting in its own file space, to another app - via iOS - to be opened in an app or apps that have registered their ability to process that type of file.

This is how the app GoodReader works. It basically tells iOS that it can, more or less, process any type or format of file (even if it can't). It can then import that format of file from an email attachment or similar source. Once it has the file, it can then determine whether it really is able to process it - for example PDFs, .doc, .zip etc. Those it can't it simply files waiting for an app to be available that can process it and has registered its ability to do this with iOS. Then, when you select that format file, you'll get the offer to open it in a compatible app.

But I digress....:( - I'm afraid that GoodReader is the closest you'll get but no app can directly read another app's filespace....

Tim

Ok thanks for the explanation Tim. I guess I will just have to experiment with the files in goodreader then!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you get iPhone Explorer for you computer you can use it to browse through the folder structure of third party apps. That does not mean the files will be easy to find, or in a recognizable format. That's up to the developer.

The iPad has to be plugged into the USB port of the computer.

Be careful what you change. If you beyond browsing and copying files to the computer you could easily lose data, or corrupt the app.

OP
addiosamigo

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
If you get iPhone Explorer for you computer you can use it to browse through the folder structure of third party apps. That does not mean the files will be easy to find, or in a recognizable format. That's up to the developer.

The iPad has to be plugged into the USB port of the computer.

Be careful what you change. If you beyond browsing and copying files to the computer you could easily lose data, or corrupt the app.

Thanks, I use diskaid more, guess I just have to wait for the iPad 2 jb!

Most reactions

Latest posts