What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feel cheated by Apple

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Paid £430 for the iPad a few months ago and it has now come down to half that price after the launch of the newer version. The re-sale value has diminished. Its now better to keep it than sell it and buy the newer version with the proceeds.

Last edited:

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
There were rumors going back a few months of the iPad 2 coming out. It is no supreme that technology gets updated and no surprise that Apple was updating the iPad to keep ahead of the competition. Technology gets updated. This is not new in the tech world. No one is to blame for that.

And I have only seen price drops of $50 or so on the current iPad. 1/2 price? not from a reputable vendor.

[edit] The 1/2 part was citing what the poster above me had originally put in their post about the original iPads dropping to 1/2 price with the announcement of the release of the iPad 2. [/edit]

Last edited:

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the $499 in November, so using mine to compare, I haven't see it for $250 anywhere yet. but the US Best Buy stores do have them on clearance for $399, but that's $100 off, certainly not half price. The US Apple Store does not list the first generation at all for order at this point.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps the OP is referring to the used value of the iPad. I have seen some remarkably good deals for used iPads in the past two days. So good in fact that I am having a hard time not purchasing a second (G1) iPad.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
No matter the new or used price, it isn't Apple's fault the OP feels cheated. When new devices are introduced, it is common sense that the older devices will drop in price. This has been the way of technology, especially since the 90's.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
More fool you for purchasing a piece of technology which you expected to retain its value over time... You certainly must have never owned an Apple product before, nor done any research into their history for releasing new iDevices...
Welcome to the wonderful world of Apple. Purchase them because you love them. Not because you want to be able to punt them for something close to what you paid for them... :D

madsquabbles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More fool you for purchasing a piece of technology which you expected to retain its value over time... You certainly must have never owned an Apple product before, nor done any research into their history for releasing new iDevices...
Welcome to the wonderful world of Apple. Purchase them because you love them. Not because you want to be able to punt them for something close to what you paid for them... :D
no doubt, but just about any tech device will lose it's value quickly.

i never feel cheated when something i purchased goes on sale not too long after i decided to get it. i obviously felt comfortable making the purchase at the asking price so why should i regret that it's cheaper now? i got to use it months more than those who waited.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i never feel cheated when something i purchased goes on sale not too long after i decided to get it. i obviously felt comfortable making the purchase at the asking price so why should i regret that it's cheaper now? i got to use it months more than those who waited.

In the long run, I've had some lucky finds where I've bought stuff at discount because I chose to wait, and also some near-misses where stuff I bought at full price went on sale just after I spent the money. To me, it kind of evens out over time (not that it's any consolation to new owners who missed out by weeks or even days.)

Chakatajaca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got my 3 month old iPad 16gb wifi only on ebay right now and the trend is showing them selling at $350 or higher. I also put it on craigslist and didn't have a single offer over $225. Craigslist is full of wishful thinkers if they think they are going to buy it for that price.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps the OP is referring to the used value of the iPad. I have seen some remarkably good deals for used iPads in the past two days. So good in fact that I am having a hard time not purchasing a second (G1) iPad.

Used iPads I can understand there being better deals on as they are exactly that, used.
So-might you pick up a second gen 1??;)

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Used iPads I can understand there being better deals on as they are exactly that, used.
So-might you pick up a second gen 1??;)

Yeah. I never really considered it before now but I saw two 64GB models on CL today for $400 a pop. There are even better deals on 32GB models but strangely I saw no 16GB models for sale at all. If I can find a cheap base model I will probably jump on it seeing as my daughter is using mine more and more.

OP
I

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It seems the official price of 16GB ipad on Apple UK store is £329 now. Still £100 off original price.

But with exchange rate as it is, it would be cheaper to import from the US because the equivalent price in the UK for a 16GB will be around £245 based on the new US pricing of $399. So if you can get shipping from the US for around £40-50, you still save around £40 or so on the UK price of £329.

You may be better off buying on ebay from US sellers.

People are selling used ones on Amazon UK for around £300 now.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Forget rumors, everyone knew the iPad 2 would come out around this time since the first one came out...yearly refresh. No surprise at all.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't feel cheated in the least. I didn't want to wait any longer so I bought the original iPad.

I do feel cheated however about the fact that when I had a problem with the volume up/down toggle they wouldn't ship me out a new one unless I purchased their warranty package, Even holding it with a credit card.

Then I felt that was a lousy way to do business.

Most reactions