What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fat finger mistake

CD Sailor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was in Safari and looking at my bookmarks when I inadvertently slid my finger across one. I saw the dreaded red delete flag so I attempted to slide the option closed. I must have touched it and it vanished while my saved bookmarkeds closed the gap.
Is there any way to recover my "deleted by mistake" bookmark. Of course I can't recall what it was. It happened in a nanosecond. Thanks.

OP
CD Sailor

CD Sailor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you've visted the site recently, it might still be in your History. I can't think of any other possibilities.

Thanks for your input. That was the first place I looked since I was unaware of a trash receptacle or its equivalent. Nothing was evident in my history and it happened so fast I didn't see the bookmark which disappeared.

OP
CD Sailor

CD Sailor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry. No other ideas. By now, any other devices you were syncing with will have been updated.

Hadn't thought of that option. My iPhone 7 was right beside me. Had I thought to check my phone how might I have effected a recovery? Or would I just be able glance at what I'd be losing momentarily?
Don't mean to beat this thing to death but it's an irritating thing to encounter.
I do appreciate your help and advice. Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you had immediately placed your iPhone in Airplane mode, you might have been able to find the bookmark still on the iPhone. Whether you had minutes or only seconds, I don't know.

It would have been a mistake to just open Safari on the iPhone. That would have triggered a sync and deleted the bookmark.

Explanation:

The iPad would have 'probably' synced the bookmark to iCloud the moment you deleted it, so shutting down the iPad wouldn't have helped. But the iPhone would have waited until some task (either on iCloud or the phone) triggered the next sync. Putting the iPhone in AirPlane mode would prevent any comunication to iCloud, and prevented a sync. Whether you had seconds or minutes would depend on your settings and chance.

Hold in mind I'm mostly guessing here, based on my understanding of how bookmark (and other background) syncing works. It's possible this would not work no matter how fast you are.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know that big fingers can also make it harder to do things expecilly on smaller screens. I often find i make typing errors when typing on my mini 2.

Most reactions