What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fast Way to Run Battery Down to Zero

bww

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have a new iPad 2 and would like to run battery down to zero and then recharge. Is there a fast way to get it down
To zero? Also can I just leave it on overnight (keep screen on)?

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bww said:
Thanks for the info....I was running it down because Apple said to do that once a month at this link:Apple - Batteries - iPad

You don't have to do that. With normal use and normal environment your battery will withstand. I had an iPhone 3g refurb for 25 months. No charge problems and I would estimate battery was still 85% strong. Was doing much better than this i4

I have iPad 2. Received 4/18. Lowest I ever let it get was 10 becuz ppl were playing games and crap. With my normal use on a heavy day I get down to 50ish. Power up at bed time (put Padi on her pillow) and I pull cord on a turn over. No battery qualms. Can watch about 4 movies on Netflix wifi and still have 30%. I really believe apple engineers stand behind their batteries.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple suggests you run down your battery once a month so you can recalibrate the battery indicator. If you choose to do that by purposely running it down, rather than letting it run down through regular use, you can jack up your brightness and stream video, for instance.

I don't see a need to do that, but if you want to, that's one approach.

sir_ben

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since your iPad 2 is new, you do not need to do a calibration just yet. I bought mine last June and I can only think of a couple of instances that I managed to drain the battery. Usually I use it for two days (for work and personal use) and by the time it reaches 10%, I am already at home and will be charging it next to my bed while still using it. The iPad has a really good battery.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple suggests you run down your battery once a month so you can recalibrate the battery indicator. If you choose to do that by purposely running it down, rather than letting it run down through regular use, you can jack up your brightness and stream video, for instance.

I don't see a need to do that, but if you want to, that's one approach.

This is a frequent source of confusion. Lithium Ion batteries do not need to be completely drained to function properly. In fact there is a protection built-in to prevent completely draining the battery since it's not good for LI batteries. Nor does the battery have to be fully charged before using the first time. That was true of an earlier generation of batteries with different storage technology. KayKayKay has noted the crucial point that is often missed. Apple suggests draining the battery once a month NOT for the sake of the battery, but to provide up-to-date information about the speed of charge/discharge for the battery MONITOR...that little X% indicator on your iPad screen. In order to function properly that indicator needs to know the current state of the battery AND an estimate of the time it requires to charge/discharge fully. Since the latter information changes over the lifespan of a battery, they suggest you keep it updated.

OP
B

bww

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all for such good comments. I think I have got it now. The info from Apple really only has to do with calibration not battery life. I have had this iPad for about 3 weeks and the battery life has been incredible, it just seems to last forever no matter what I am doing. I will go back to what I was doing before I ran it all the way down which was using it and charging when the battery got down to around 50% depending on what I was using the iPad for the next day.

Most reactions

Latest posts