What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Famous designer says Apple will reveal 'revolutionary' product within 8 months

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GnomeGrrl said:
Ugh, iTunes. LOL.

But my definition of revolutionary may differ from someone else's and it's such a broad jumping off point. I would likely consider bringing technology and educational advantages to low-income students via a smaller, more affordable iPad far more revolutionary than designing a fancy floating toy for the elite. But as someone that comes from a coastal town on a brutal and unforgiving stretch of ocean, I'd consider designing an on-board navigational system that would help reduce fatalities pretty darn revolutionary.

Wouldn't a low income family be better off buying a used computer and a simple e-reader than an iPad?

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I'll cut them slack on the cloud, because it's relatively new and I hope that things will shake out. But it has muck potential, groan.

Considering how bad it mucked up my music and playlists all of my slack is gone.

GnomeGrrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
beesknees said:
Wouldn't a low income family be better off buying a used computer and a simple e-reader than an iPad?

Not necessarily, especially with Apple getting into the textbook market. There's also the issue of compatibility when it comes to educational apps. Trying to ensure that every student has a tablet that meets all the requirements, has the necessary apps available and that they're all updated across all platforms, and teaching each different device ... well, if you were a teacher, would you want to take that on? ;-)

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not necessarily, especially with Apple getting into the textbook market. There's also the issue of compatibility when it comes to educational apps. Trying to ensure that every student has a tablet that meets all the requirements, has the necessary apps available and that they're all updated across all platforms, and teaching each different device ... well, if you were a teacher, would you want to take that on? ;-)

Unless the iPads are school issued that will happen anyway and it is really more on the app designers to ensure compatibility.

GnomeGrrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
beesknees said:
Unless the iPads are school issued that will happen anyway and it is really more on the app designers to ensure compatibility.

True, but still a darn sight easier for the teacher to stand at the front of the class and issue one simple set of instructions than have to run around the class trying to figure out every version of Android on every tablet.You wouldn't expect them to teach five different versions of a textbook at the same time, would you?

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
True, but still a darn sight easier for the teacher to stand at the front of the class and issue one simple set of instructions than have to run around the class trying to figure out every version of Android on every tablet.You wouldn't expect them to teach five different versions of a textbook at the same time, would you?

I am not following you. I can't figure out why a book would have any cross-compatibility issues. An app, maybe, but not a book.

While I think the ipad offers a lot for students if a family can only afford an ipad or a computer they should buy the computer. Also, low income families tend to live in low income communities and go to low budget schools. Any teacher in one of those schools would sing praises all day long if they had to worry about all of their students owning tablets and what version they are on.

GnomeGrrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not saying it's viable - for it to work, the tablet would ideally be school bought, owned and maintained, Heck, it doesn't even need to be an iPad, so long as its standard across all students. Most importantly, it needs to be affordable and that's not really possible with the current market.

But that's not the point. The point is that my idea of revolutionary isn't the same as everyone else's and while I'm marching gung-ho toward my end goal, they're traipsing through that muck wondering what the hello they were doing giving my crazy idea any airtime at all. Or, they're off building a yacht.

Last edited:

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't knock building a yacht. It puts a lot of food on a lot of families' tables. Anything the super-rich buy that has to be hand-crafted is a good thing.

GnomeGrrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
beesknees said:
Don't knock building a yacht. It puts a lot of food on a lot of families' tables. Anything the super-rich buy that has to be hand-crafted is a good thing.

So would manufacturing a smaller iPad. But again, it's not what I would call revolutionary.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't think anything tablet oriented would be revolutionary at this point. Everything from here on out will be the natural evolution of this technology.

GnomeGrrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
beesknees said:
I wouldn't think anything tablet oriented would be revolutionary at this point. Everything from here on out will be the natural evolution of this technology.

I agree. However, while the technology may be a natural evolution, the uses can still be revolutionary, right across the board. Just depends on your perception.

I actually meant yacht building though ;-)

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Using it for more and more applications still falls under where we are headed. The only thing a tablet does better than a computer is move around and even on-the-go app software and technology is already here and evolving. That is not to say that we are not in very exciting times because we are still at the beginning but to me the revolution has already happened. Everyone that I know that has the slightest interest and can afford one owns a tablet or is planning to purchase one. It won't be too long before more and more homes own multiple tablets. We own 2 ourselves.

Most reactions

Latest posts