What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory reset on ipad 2 without updating to ios 5.1

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looking to upgrade ipad 1 to 2 now that the 3 is out. If i buy can i do a factory reset to erase all data from previous owner without updating to 5.1? I dont wanna lose ability to jailbreak.

Thanks for the input.

Yes, but only if you do the upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 right away. Like tonite. Apple has released iOS 5.1 and, given their past history, the window will close VERY fast.

In other words - hurry! The time she is getting very short (I'd be surprised if the iOS 5.0.1 is open longer than tomorrow some time ... but that's just my guess).

Marilyn

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So what are my steps? Do i go into options, do full reset, then restore through itunes with 5.0.1 ipsw file?

Thanks again for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Yes ... ish. You want to do a restore, but because iOS 5.1 is out, do it via the DFU mode - you sure don't want iTunes to put 5.1 on your iPad, YOU want 5.0.1. So, follow the instructions in this sticky: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=52863

That ought to take care of it. let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Still no way to use shsh for ios 5.0.1?

Sent from my iPad 2 white 64 gb (ios 5.0.1) using iPF

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Still no way to use shsh for ios 5.0.1?

Sent from my iPad 2 white 64 gb (ios 5.0.1) using iPF

Nope. As of this writing, you can save SHSH blobs, but you cannot use them (on an iPad2). If you leave 5.0.1 to upgrade or downgrade, you can NEVER go back to iOS 5.0.1. Again, this is with an iPad2 (A5 chip).

it's a slight different story with the iPad1 and it's A4 chip (with has been exploited at the boot rom). You can get back to iOS 5.0.1 IF you have SHSH blobs and have used a tool like redsn0w to create a custom IPSW. I'm hearing that there is a TETHERED jailbreak for iOS 5.1 for the iPad1 - but again, it's tethered and for the iPad1 only.

Bottom line: If you want to keep a jail break on your iPad2 - do NOT upgrade to iOS 5.1!! Saved SHSH blobs or not - you WILL (repeat: WILL!) lose your jail break.

Little long winded, I know. But, don't want any of these "accidental" upgrades. :)

Marilyn

P.S. And, since this entire post talks about jail breaking, I've taken liberties and moved it over to the Hacking section of the forum.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes you can - IF the window is still open for iOS 5.0.1.

Just know that you are on borrowed time right now! Like I HAD to remind you, right?

Maybe buy the iPad on the condition that if you can't get back to iOS 5.0.1, he'll take it back? I mean, it'll only be a little bit for you to see if the window's closed, right? Maybe he'll be cool...

Marilyn

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did. I e-mailed the seller, stated if he could restore back to 5.0.1 (using your instructions) I would buy. He was able to, and I got it. Thanks again for your help. Nice to find help on a forum without negativity. Much appreciated.

I like it. Haven't done much to it yet, but sure seems faster than my ipad 1.

Hurray! A happy ending! :)

And, yeah, I like to think this is a pretty friendly place to hang out. So, stick around and enjoy the tales and stories here. Great bunch of folk. Glad to have ya here, too!

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts