What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FaceTime

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My ipad mini has no FaceTime icon, nor anyway to do FaceTime that I can see. It is a wifi only ipad but I thought FaceTime was supposed to work with wifi only now. Am I wrong or is my ipad defective?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What country are you in? I ask because some countries have restricted even the installation of FaceTime so it will never show up for that version of iPad/Mini.

Or, could you have FaceTime turned off? To see if you've restricted it - go to the General tab of your Settings app. Once there, select the line for Restrictions (if your restrictions are active, you'll be prompted for a password). Once you are at the restricted tab, ensure FaceTime is ON.

My WiFi-only Mini has FaceTime, so if neither of the above apply to you, all I can recommend is to search in all your pages and folders for the app; it's got to be there...:)

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, i've done that, I'm in the US, and there is not even a FaceTime entry in the settings. My iphone has it right under Messages but nothing there for the ipad and no restrictions are set. I'll look again. Mine was shipped from China as preorder, mebbe I got a foreign version.

Oddly under notifications there is a facetime notification option, which is set on.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Huh. Weird.

Have you tried a search for it in Spotlight? If there is no restrictions set for it, a search in Spotlight will show if it's on the Mini.

If there is no restrictions and Spotlight doesn't show it - my guess is to take it to the Apple store. Cause you should have it ... and they should be able to help.

Sorry not to have been of better assistance.

Marilyn

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
thanks for your help. I did try spotlight search with no joy. Bet mine was meant for some other country. I'll post results when I get to Apple tech.

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DUH well as I said restrictions were turned off and so I ignored the fact that all the apps under restrictions were 'on' except for facetime. Not wanting to have to have a password I did not turn restrictions on to be able to turn facetime on. BUT that was the problem SO now it is there and works.

Thanks to this forum and thanks for the excellent Apple support line (8:45 Sunday morning they were there and solved my problem) !!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hurray!

Glad it all worked out for you in the end. And thanks for letting us know you got it solved. Always good to hear back ... especially on the success stories.

Marilyn

Apple2005

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So what should we do to have face time who are in restricted country like we? Is there anyway to install face time if one is not jailbroken? My ipad mini is not jailbroken and having latest IOS version 7.0.4...

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So what should we do to have face time who are in restricted country like we? Is there anyway to install face time if one is not jailbroken? My ipad mini is not jailbroken and having latest IOS version 7.0.4...
If your iPad was purchased without FaceTime installed, there is no way to install it at any later time. FaceTime is not a standalone app, but is integrated into iOS. Therefore, there is no place to go to get Facebook, and no way to download it to your iPad.

Shandi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im having the same problem I tried to figure outand there's no Icon of facetime,over and over...I brought this ipad here at dubai,,,any solution at all.?to help me..:((

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Im having the same problem I tried to figure outand there's no Icon of facetime,over and over...I brought this ipad here at dubai,,,any solution at all.?to help me..:((
FaceTime does not appear in IPads or other iOS devices sold in Dubai and several other countries. This was done in order to comply with local laws, which ban FaceTime. There is, unfortunately, no way to add FaceTime to your iPad. In order to make video calls, you would have to use a third party app such as Skype.

See the link in my previous post for a fuller explanation.

Most reactions

Latest posts