What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Facetime witn ipad and iphone

MarBush

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I get a call on FaceTime my iPhone rings but my iPad does not. I am unable to answer it with my iPad then. Does it automatically default to iPhone?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Only the iPhone can respond to a FaceTime call made to the phone number. The iPad responds to whatever email address you set up on the iPad. To get them both to respond you need to add the same address to the iPhone in you FaceTime settings, and have the caller use that instead of the phone number.

At least I'm pretty sure that's how it should work. I don't have any FaceTime using family or friends, so my experience is limited to what I read, and calles made between my devices when I was really really bored.

OP
M

MarBush

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I turned my iPhone off and was able to answer my iPad. However, there was no ringing sound. I knew I was getting a video call because I had the iPad in my hand and saw the screen The volume button was all the way up but still no sound.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
One of two places to look. Either you have Mute turned on or Settings > General > Sounds has the volume turned down, or not ringtone set.

Mute is either set with the switch next to the volume rockers, or in the multitask bar. Which it is is determined by how you've got Settings > General > Use Side Switch to: set. The multitask bar will have the opposite control that you set the switch to. To get to the multitask bar settings, double tap on the Home button, then slide the icons to the right to reveal volume, play, brightness, and the rotation lock or mute control.

Mute only affects system sounds and those apps that choose to honor it. Most media apps like Music or Videos ignore it.

Most reactions

Latest posts