What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

facetime wifi or not

wullie1967

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when doing face time from my ipad 2 does the other person on the iphone 4 have to be on wifi with phone or just normal 3g, im hearing they have to be on wifi if so i find that strange

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
wullie1967 said:
when doing face time from my ipad 2 does the other person on the iphone 4 have to be on wifi with phone or just normal 3g, im hearing they have to be on wifi if so i find that strange

I just had a look on the net and they say Wifi. Wifi is a much stronger and faster signal than 3G. well in most places it is. It must have something to do with that. This is the advert -

For faraway friends and family, long-distance relationships or just for fun, FaceTime for iPad is here. With a tap, you can make video calls from your iPad 2 to someone else’s iPad 2, iPhone, iPod touch or Mac, over Wi-Fi.* And be there in person, even when you’re not.

Last edited:

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
I just had a look on the net and they say Wifi. Wifi is a much stronger and faster signal than 3G. well in most places it is. It must have something to do with that.

Facetime could work across 3g no issues, except its a bandwidth hog and Apple (or perhaps the carriers) have prevented its use across 3g. If you were on a limited dataplan you would soon use up your allowance by using facetime.

afc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you can use skype over 3G but it's not as reliable and the quality is not as good...and watch out for your Gb's if you're on a data plan... I guess that's the reason why some carriers block skype calls on the phones they sell....

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
afc said:
you can use skype over 3G but it's not as reliable and the quality is not as good...and watch out for your Gb's if you're on a data plan... I guess that's the reason why some carriers block skype calls on the phones they sell....

Thank you for that. I had noticed Skype buffers a lot on 3G and drops out. Didn't know they blocked it also though. Thank you again!

Most reactions

Latest posts