What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Facetime / Video Call On Apple iPad Over 3G And Wifi

PhilSynowiec

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x51H0_TIMb0]YouTube - Facetime / Video Call On Apple iPad Over 3G And Wifi - iOS Vlog 244[/ame]​

Skype decided to release their video calling feature a little bit early. I guess they were trying to get it in before the new year. It is a cool feature to use and one that we needed. If you don't have a Jailbroken device, you can now use Skype to video call other devices and vise-versa. Skype is free in the App Store and it is free to make an account. Go out and grab some friends to try it out.

Last edited:

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not normally a violent person, but does anyone else want to punch this guy in the face? :p

On topic, that's pretty cool, hopefully the iPad 2 does have the front facing camera like everyone is speculating. Maybe Skype has some insider information on it and that is why they've updated the iPad app for video calling?

I know many people who use Skype, but I know some (myself included) who use Google video chat as well. Hopefully the iPad 2 will support that at some point (or does it already?)

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It works well. I am pretty sure the new ipad will have a camera and we will be able to see each other, rather than being one way! Well done, Skype! meanwhile this has encouraged me to get an ipod touch 4!!!

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah! I immediately downloaded. Thats what im talking about. Cant wait to try it out. Thnkx Skype.
Now we have seen facetime work. The real question is, can people on other networks, like sprint, use their video chat to talk to ipad also?? Like can a sprimt EVO or Epic video call the ipad? Can any capable phone do it or only apple devices for right now? I REALLY NEED TO KNOW ;-)

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As long as you are using the same application to talk to someone else, it should work just fine. For example, if you use Skype on the iPad and I use Skype on my Android phone, we should be able to see each other without any issues. However, if someone is using a different voice chat app (like FaceTime) than you will probably not be able to communicate.

Studor13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I Skyped my iPad from my wife's iPod touch and found that it worked - first time. Well done Skype.

This is great because currently my mother and our family use Facetime using two iPod touches but she has some hassles using the small keyboard. When the new iPad2 comes out the prices of the current model will plumet and I will get her the iPad1.

For pepole where seeing video on the iPad is more important then sending video this is really great news.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not normally a violent person, but does anyone else want to punch this guy in the face? :p

On topic, that's pretty cool, hopefully the iPad 2 does have the front facing camera like everyone is speculating. Maybe Skype has some insider information on it and that is why they've updated the iPad app for video calling?

I know many people who use Skype, but I know some (myself included) who use Google video chat as well. Hopefully the iPad 2 will support that at some point (or does it already?)

There isn't a skype app for iPad yet so I'm sure they don't have insider info on the iPad 2.

Timmkaps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
graywolf said:
There isn't a skype app for iPad yet so I'm sure they don't have insider info on the iPad 2.

In a pair of countrys there are Not give the Skype App. Where are you ?

Most reactions

Latest posts