What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FaceTime photo in background?

nuonli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apparently when I was setting up facetime, it took a photo - I can't figure out how to change the photo although I see lots of questions online ... no answers. HELP! How do I do it?

Reaction score
Just to clarify: The background photo, does that appear when you open FaceTime, or is it the Homescreen background?

If the later, it can be changed via Settings->Brightness&Wallpaper->Press on the home screen preview and select a different image.

OP
N

nuonli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when I open facetime, there is a weird photo there that I don't like. that s what I want to replace, not the background that shows the apps or when the ipad is sleeping.

Reaction score
Sorry, I am at a loss at this one. There is no setting, which would you allow you to set a background picture, the FaceTime background is a realtime video of the front camera.

The only thing you can try is restart FaceTime:
-enter the multitasking bar by pressing the home button twice
-press&hold on the FaceTime icon until it starts to wiggle
-press the red circle
-start FaceTime again

Johnmarshall4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with 'don't understand'. Restart FaceTime or reboot the iPad. I had FaceTime lock up on me like that, the video froze on a single frame like that and I had to reboot.

thedon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That happened to me too. I shutdown and restarted. I couldnt FaceTime when it was stuck.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Playing with it this evening it does seem to be a cached image that it snaps when you launch FaceTime. If you clear it form the App Switcher (which clears the Apps temp files) that will clear the image. Also if the RAM needs to be freed up for other Apps to use that will also cause it to clear and reset.

I'm not sure I like that overly much. It's an interesting gimmick, but the lack of control on that could become a decent annoyance.

OP
N

nuonli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all - I reloaded facetime, and the photo went away. The next little glitch facetime had though was that it initially worked, and I could switch from the forward camera to the rear camera - but then, all of a sudden, the little screen that shows me what the otherperson is seeing didn't match what they saw. For example, when they saw me, my little screen showed the rear camera view; when i hit reverse cameras, they could see through the rear camera, but my little screen showed me. It persisted til I just gave up. Any more ideas?

Thanks again!

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Odd glitch. Huh.... I personally have not used FaceTime (I have no one to talk to :( ) so I can't say. I can only suggest to exit the chat and kill it from the App Switcher, then relaunch.

Most reactions

Latest posts