What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Facetime in Cyprus

slipknot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a new iPad 2 and lashed out on an iphone4 too... Gulp...

Anyway, I have since found that my phone company does not support FaceTime

On calling them they said that it was Apples fault for not being able to return the text that's needed to activate it.

The state telephone company, cytanet, supports it, but MTN, does not.

Does anyone know if there is a solution to this or has Apple looked at this issue.

I am stuck as I signed a new contract for the iPhone and now cannot cancel it. A real PITA!

Thx in advance

qamarrasheed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my iPad in Canada and I set it up there. FaceTime does not appear to work here in dubai. Any solutions..?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dubai does not allow Facetime. Apple, of course, abide by all local and national regulations, so I'm afraid you'll be unable to use Facetime while you're in Dubai.

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have a new iPad 2 and lashed out on an iphone4 too... Gulp...

Anyway, I have since found that my phone company does not support FaceTime

On calling them they said that it was Apples fault for not being able to return the text that's needed to activate it.

The state telephone company, cytanet, supports it, but MTN, does not.

Does anyone know if there is a solution to this or has Apple looked at this issue.

I am stuck as I signed a new contract for the iPhone and now cannot cancel it. A real PITA!

Thx in advance

While FaceTime work can work with a telephone number, it does not have to. You can set it up to work with an email address. I have not done anything with FaceTime myself, so all I can do is offer this link, which should help you figure out what will work.

Managing FaceTime On Multiple iDevices -- AppAdvice

OP
S

slipknot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Twerppoet... thank you. i will have a look and see if I can set it up with mails!!

Thx for the other posts too. Good info.

OP
S

slipknot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK... have mac talking to Ipad2 on FaceTime.... Cannot see how I can setup email on iPhone4 as it is looking for the sms that either my tel network can't action or that apple won't / can't send :-(

qamarrasheed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
facetime in UAE

Dubai does not allow Facetime. Apple, of course, abide by all local and national regulations, so I'm afraid you'll be unable to use Facetime while you're in Dubai.

Tim

THANKS for the info.

However i have an iphone 4 and an ipad2 both of which were purchased in canada and came with face book apps inbuilt. When i call my email number from iphone to ipad or vice versa here in the UAE i can hear the ringing tone however the bell does not ring on the other set . Any ideas why .

also would i be able to call another ipad user based in say canada from my ipad (bought in canada ) from UAE?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A colleague of mine tells me (though I have no way of verifying this) that the 'call' is blocked based on the IP address. Since you are in Dubai you will have an IP address that identifies you as residing in that location.

Maybe another Member has some more information on how Facetime calls are being blocked in countries that don't allow its use?

Tim

OP
S

slipknot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FaceTime

twerppoet.. thx for the update but even using the contacts app it will not work.

I called Apple yesterday and they said it was definitely down to the mobile carrier I am with.

They (my phone carrier) won't / can't send / receive the necessary text to activate FaceTime on the IP4.

Guess I will have to badger MTN again.

Thx again guys

qamarrasheed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A colleague of mine tells me (though I have no way of verifying this) that the 'call' is blocked based on the IP address. Since you are in Dubai you will have an IP address that identifies you as residing in that location.

Maybe another Member has some more information on how Facetime calls are being blocked in countries that don't allow its use?

Tim

Thank you. Guess your explanation sounds good. Hope some one can tell of a way around it.

Most reactions

Latest posts