What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Facebook’s New, Ultra Fast iOS App Update is Here

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
7983-facebook-app-update-august-2012.JPG

Mike Isaac at All Things D reports today that Facebook has finally completed work on its major revamp of its much-maligned iOS app, which hits the App Store today.

“People have different expectations when it comes to using Facebook for iOS,†Mick Johnson, Facebook iOS mobile product manager told All Things D today. “They expect a level of performance and speed that just wasn’t there.â€

Johnson also told All Things D that the previously painfully slow user experiences of scrolling through the feed, photos and loading the app has been made much, much faster. Johnson went on to explain that the reason the much-needed update took so long to arrive was because it had to be rewritten pretty much from the ground up, mainly because the current app is largely HTML5-based, and had to be changed to Objective-C programming language, in order to make better use of the iPhone 5 hardware.

Click here to download the free app: App Store - Facebook

Source: <em>Finally</em>, Facebook Speeds Up Its iOS App - Mike Isaac - Social - AllThingsD

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can attest that it IS much faster (well, on my iPhone anyway...). I admit - I was getting tired of the "official" Facebook app. Glad they improved it.

Marilyn

Quicksilver71

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Still slow on ipad1 plus full of annoying 'suggestions' of games and pages I may like. I am not impressed.

Temp53

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The latest update is so sweet! pretty fast, it's very well optimized by facebook.

dr_sgivo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This one is even much slower and uglier than the previous one. How can I downgrade to the previous version?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This one is even much slower and uglier than the previous one. How can I downgrade to the previous version?

Really? Mine is significantly faster.

Only way to downgrade is to restore from backup.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I cannot change the FB cover. Please help me!

Not that I'm an expert with Facebook... but I found that if you go to your profile, then tap on the area where the cover is, you will be offered a pop-up with some options, one of which is to change the cover. You can upload a picture or take one...

Marilyn

Farida Lee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Not that I'm an expert with Facebook... but I found that if you go to your profile, then tap on the area where the cover is, you will be offered a pop-up with some options, one of which is to change the cover. You can upload a picture or take one...

Marilyn

Thank you for your kind :)
But on my iPad cannot do like that, when tap the cover, it just show the picture and options are 'save photo' n 'make profile picture'

^_____________^

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Definitely faster and smoother. And they finally made the iPad version view profiles in Timeline mode! Definitely liking the iPad Facebook app a lot.

jpatienza

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
Really? Mine is significantly faster.

Only way to downgrade is to restore from backup.

How can i restore from backup. I dont like the upgrade. Very slow to upload photos and videos.

florri3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am at a loss to understand it all. I have seen the option to update and was not sure if I should or not.
The problem I have now is I play a game which has problems and the developer has asked for my Facebook URL number they say can be got by clicking on.

I don't use a laptop or desktop computer just use my iPad would the update show this or just confuse me more? The game I play went
Bonkers when updated so you see my dilemma,

Most reactions

Latest posts