What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Facebook, chat sidebar vanished

Cas5090

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I am using an ipad2, IOS 7.1.2

My facebook chat sidebar that used to be on the right hand side of the screen as I face it has disappeared. It may have been around the time of a facebook update, I am not sure. It showed a list of my chat friends and indicated who was online and I used it all the time.

It has suddenly been replaced with a list of trending topics (possibly on messenger) and adverts. There is no little gear wheel to click on to enable/disable the chat sidebar, it has simply vanished!

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I am using an ipad2, IOS 7.1.2

My facebook chat sidebar that used to be on the right hand side of the screen as I face it has disappeared. It may have been around the time of a facebook update, I am not sure. It showed a list of my chat friends and indicated who was online and I used it all the time.

It has suddenly been replaced with a list of trending topics (possibly on messenger) and adverts. There is no little gear wheel to click on to enable/disable the chat sidebar, it has simply vanished!

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

The owners of Facebook have removed the ability to chat within Facebook itself. If you want to chat with people using Facebook tools, you'll have to install the separate app "Messenger."

The only way to get chat back into your actual Facebook page is to use the web browser to access your Facebook account or use the app "Paper."

Unfortunately, this is a new "feature" of Facebook and it going to be for everyone that uses the Facebook app.

Marilyn

OP
C

Cas5090

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply but I am confused.

No-one else I know has lost it and they, like me, have installed all the updates. I am accessing it via Safari if I understand you correctly - i go via google to a facebook link and log in from there.

I cannot find an app called "paper", can you explain further?

Hugely appreciated!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My apologies - I didn't realize you weren't talking about the app.

I don't use the web version, so I'm afraid I'll be of no help. Hopefully, someone will be along that can assist you. Sorry.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't see the chat sidebar either. You can still get to messages by tapping the Messages view in the left sidebar.

I'd guess that Facebook is eliminating the sidebar in the web view (for mobile devices). They really want people to start using the stand alone messaging app.

When they make these kind of changes they often roll out in stages, and without bothering to notify end users first. It may be as simple as you being first, and none of your friends being converted yet.

Or I could be completely wrong and there is a way to get the sidebar back, but I can't find it. That happens too. And since I usually keep the chat feature turned off, I'm hardly an expert on using it. :)

OP
C

Cas5090

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I think I am going to have to accept that its gone for good :(

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

If you use the feature a lot you should probably give Facebook Messenger a try. It has notifications, so you can use it similar to other messaging apps for, more or less, real time chatting.

Moving back and forth between Safari and the app should be simple if you've got Gestures turned on in Settings > General. It's a four fingered swipe (left and right) to scroll through your recent apps.

OP
C

Cas5090

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dont like messenger, it doesn't sit on my fb page showing me who is online like the chat sidebar used to :(

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ahh. That's too bad.

I just checked the FaceBook app. It still has the sidebar, and will tell you if your friends are online. I tend to leave chat off, because I don't really want (some) people bothering me for no better reason than they see me online.

OP
C

Cas5090

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:D I got it back! The third time I deleted the app then downloaded it and reinstalled it, it has reappeared! I won't be updating this one!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
:D I got it back! The third time I deleted the app then downloaded it and reinstalled it, it has reappeared! I won't be updating this one!

Oh. I thought you were using Safari. My bad.

Just ask around before you update. No point in missing out on new features without a solid reason. Hold in mind that FaceBook app updates are often necessary to keep working with the site, since they also update it all the time.

Anyway, glad it's working for you now: :)

Most reactions

Latest posts