What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Face book in ipad

Ranganathan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not able to write notes in my profile using ipad.
Can anyone explain and give hints.
Tgr

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Are you using the web page or an app? Some web pages include code that mobile browsers can't handle. I tried Safari, Atomic, and Puffin. None of them worked with the standard web page. There might be others that do, but those are the only three I have handy.

You can work around this by going to the m.facebook.com pages instead. These are optimized for mobile browsing. Unfortunately they also assume you're on a phone, so the UI is very basic. But you can add notes this way. It is just sort of ugly and the editing capabilities are limited.

I use the app Friendly. You can do most things in FaceBook with it, including notes. The UI is nice and the app is cheap; either free, or 99 cents if you want to nix the adds.

leneo34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
z3olyte.com
I use Friendly for iPad too... unlike the safari version of Facebook, you can have FB chat using Friendly

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My preferred app to browse Facebook (and a whole bunch of other things) is Flipboard.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Flipboard is cool. I don't use it much, because in the end I prefer the efficiency of Reeder. Flipboard does make FaceBook look great, but it doesn't offer as much control/interactivity, and the stuff it does offer are two to three screens deep. Again, it is a choice of efficiency over looks.

Where I do use Flipboard is on my less frequently read stuff and photo sites. Places where I'm going to do nothing but casually flip through articles and photos. The Magazine layout is great for that. Sometimes looks triumph. :)

Last edited:

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To me, the ultra-coolness and fun factor of Flipboard's user experience goes a long way to making up for the sheer boredom and irrelevance of the majority of updates and statuses and posts on Facebook.

(I care about my friends - but I don't need to know for the six milliionth time someone's checked in at South City Food Court for lunch or what they're cooking for dinenr tonight.)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I only have about 40 friends, and the updates are manageable. I long ago hid the only person who seemed to feel it was necessary to give hourly updates. I get more, far more, updates from the few non-person pages I subscribe to. Wouldn't mind a filter for those.

The relationship was pretty weak anyway, so I doubt they ever noticed.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do have Friendly as well as FB's own native app, so I can go lowbrow and shoot through stuff more efficiently - but when I'm not in a hurry and want to browse at stuff, it's Flipboard. Fundamentally - I believe that the quality of how you consume/enjoy something is as important as the product itself.

(Same reason I put my device in a handmade traditional book-bound case rather than a cheap-and-nasty third-world product off Fleabay. But that's just me.)

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Understandable. And I don't disagree about taking time to enjoy things. But FaceBook is more like an semi-necessary evil on my end. A convenient way to track old friends and family. I'm there because people I care about are there.

It's the only social network I'm active on, for that reason.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm pretty much love-hate about Facebook, less of the love, more of the hate. It's convenient for keeping in touch with people casually and hooking up with extended networks of friends, but the people I'm really close with get phonecalls and longwinded emails.

Anyway., even on Flipboard I only spend a small fraction of it on FB; stuff like Mashable and Nat Geographic get a lot more of my time. Yeah.

iKarnt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.adapt.com.au
Yep, friendly is perhaps the better Facebook browser there is, there is one more... It's a paid app called my pad or face pad, a lite versions around, and a paid advert free version for $0.99 currently half price.
Since I only use Facebook briefly it's not worth money to see who is bitching about who... Lol

Most reactions

Latest posts