What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

External modem for iPad

Chenda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI there iPad friends! I am a new member with a request for help. I have an external Wi-Fi and 3G modem with USB connection. Is there a USB converter plug for iPad? And would I be able to use the modem with iPad? I would like to do this because I live in remote Australia and don't have reliable wi-fi or 3G connection. When travelling it would be convenient to use the modem on which I am already paying rental.
I hope you can help me!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I've moved your thread to our Help Section where you will receive a better response.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No,there is no way to use a cable connection of any kind to connect your iPad to the Internet.The connection has to be through wifi.What kind of internet service do you have?If you have Internet through the phone line,you could connect the modem through that,then connect to the iPad via wifi.

Last edited:
OP
C

Chenda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad and external G3 modem

I have satellite internet connection. There is no problem at home the wi-fi works fine. I don't have a sim card in the iPad because mobile reception is hopeless where we live, but when travelling, if wi-fi is not available, sometimes a mobile service is. As I already have an external, USB modem, I was wondering if I could use it with iPad.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Chenda said:
I have satellite internet connection. There is no problem at home the wi-fi works fine. I don't have a sim card in the iPad because mobile reception is hopeless where we live, but when travelling, if wi-fi is not available, sometimes a mobile service is. As I already have an external, USB modem, I was wondering if I could use it with iPad.
The way I understand it is that you have a modem that receives wifi and/or 3G signals and connects to a computer via USB cable to provide an Internet connection.Is this true?
You can't use a USB modem to connect to the internet with any iPad.Unless you're using a cellular data connection in a 3G capable iPad,the only way to connect to the Internet on an iPad is via wifi.

Last edited:

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Chenda said:
I have an external Wi-Fi and 3G modem with USB connection.

Just to clarify, did you mean your external 3G modem also has wifi? If that is the case, connect to it by wifi from your iPad and you should have internet access anywhere you have service.

If not, you probably have the USB dongle variety. May I suggest taking that to Telstra/Optus/Vodafone and upgrading to the wifi hotspot variety 3G modem.

OP
C

Chenda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The modem has wi-fi and 3G. But wouldn't the modem have to be plugged into something? It's a little USB one like a thumb drive.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Chenda said:
The modem has wi-fi and 3G. But wouldn't the modem have to be plugged into something? It's a little USB one like a thumb drive.

Yes it does,normally it's plugged into a laptop.Do you have a wireless router with a USB input port?If so,plug the modem in and the router should be able to transmit a wifi signal that can be used by your iPad.This would solve your Internet problems if you were only able to receive a reliable 3G signal.You may have to settle for a connection through the phone line.In this case you would hook a wireless router up to your Internet connection box and wouldn't need the modem.

OP
C

Chenda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The point is, I'm wanting to use the iPad when travelling, not at home. I was hoping to use the 3G component of the USB modem instead of putting a sim card in the iPad ... that is my dilemma!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the modem connects to a computer via a USB connector,it is not possible to hook it up to the iPad.You will have to get a sim card for your iPad if you want an Internet connection while traveling.

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Chenda said:
The point is, I'm wanting to use the iPad when travelling, not at home. I was hoping to use the 3G component of the USB modem instead of putting a sim card in the iPad ... that is my dilemma!

I'm afraid that this will not work as Scifan has said. This is the wrong type of modem for an iPad to connect to and is only suitable for a laptop through its USB port.

I have heard that there may be a way to enable a laptop as a wifi hotspot but I'm not sure if this is available across different Windows platforms.. This would mean using the dongle in a laptop and carting the laptop with you. Have a look at this link
http://www.windows7news.com/2010/03/15/how-to-setup-a-wi-fi-hotspot-for-windows7/

I don't know if this is something you would want to be doing as having to have your laptop with you at all times may be inconvenient, the alternative and easiest is a sim card for your iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts