External Microphone Help!

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by alavelle, Mar 29, 2014.

1. alavelle

alavelle
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi, this is my first post - so I hope i'm in the right place.

My kids are into movie-making, and we've started various projects filming with my iPad Mini. Outfitted a kit with a Makayama mount, wide angle lens, some lighting, etc. I want my audio not to record from the built-in Mini mic, but form external mics. I've looked at lots of videos of people doing this - and decided to try a wireless route (why make things easy?).

- From Amazon i purchased the Audio 2000s AWM6023 (its 2 wireless VHF Lavoliers that talk to a base unit)
    - I also got a 10' cable that takes the 1/4" mixed output from that system, and converts it to a 3-pole 3.5M male plug
    - Then i got the StarTech adapter that takes a 3-pole 3.5mm and turns it into a 4-pole (purpose built to take an external mic and run it into an iOS device)

Here are the products (this is my first post, system won't let me post links!):

Audio 2000s AWM6023
    [h=1]HOSA CMP-110 Mono Interconnect - 3.5mm TRS to 1/4" TS
    StarTech - Model: MUYHSMFF
    [/h]
    Only problem i have is that it doesn't work! I can't get the Mini to recognize the external mic. I have turned everything on, plugged everything in and left plugging the 4-pole into the Mini as the last step (per other forum posts i've seen about the StarTech cable). But i can't get it to work. I'm worried the whole Wireless Mic kit from Audio2000 is just powered wrong and doesn't output in a compatable way?

Thanks in advance!

2. cecilrwilliams

cecilrwilliams
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Way over my head. In Setting, Privacy, Microphone do you have app that can enable the microphone? I am sure you check this.

3. dhewson777

dhewson777
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I think you may have the wrong headset splitter from Startech, going by their website, you need the MUYHSMFFADW, which has a specific headphone and mic split out.

4. alavelle

alavelle
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Adapters are the same..

I'm pretty sure that MUYHSMFFADW and MUYHSMFF are exactly the same adapters, just one is black and the other is white with a plastic housing.
    So unfortunately I don't think that the adapter is the issue :(

5. dhewson777

dhewson777
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Well, I wonder if it being a mono input would be an issue with the mic gear you are using?