What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

External HD?

shaka71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An I connect an external HD to my iPad? I've connected my SD card through an adapter, just wondering if there is anyway to connect external HD?

Inter1962

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Something similar was discussed in this thread: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-air-forum/117777-any-sd-card-external-hard-drive-works.html There are a few suggestions that might sound interesting. Hope that helps.

I have bought an iPad Air and would like to avoid carrying my laptop of short business trips. I have all my files in a external hard disk, which I can connect with my Mac Book. Is it possible to reach my files on a remote basis, either directly from HD or through my Mac? I managed to reach my Mac through remote desktop app, but the screen is limited and I do not know how to copy my file in my ipad for further editing. In addition when Mac goes on sleep mode I'm not able to reach it anymore. Any suggestion is appreciated.
Thanks in advance

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have bought an iPad Air and would like to avoid carrying my laptop of short business trips. I have all my files in a external hard disk, which I can connect with my Mac Book. Is it possible to reach my files on a remote basis, either directly from HD or through my Mac? I managed to reach my Mac through remote desktop app, but the screen is limited and I do not know how to copy my file in my ipad for further editing. In addition when Mac goes on sleep mode I'm not able to reach it anymore. Any suggestion is appreciated.
Thanks in advance

The better option would be to used secure storage boxes. It's technically possible to attach an external hard drive to your Macbook, then have your iPad access the data on the hard drive through your Macbook, but it'll be extremely slow as it will most likely be done via Bluetooth and not a local network.

NAS (network-attached storage) requires a local network to access, so it doesn't apply for cellular devices, hence encrypted cloud storage such as Mega, Box, Google Drive.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are several wifi hard drives on the market. You an also buy external enclosures with a wifi router built in that you can put your HD into (well, you have to remove it from its original case). With these, you log into them with your iPad and access files wirelessly. Many can be used with a laptop or desktop as well, even via usb.

Airfoil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone mentioned it or not, but Sandisk sells a wireless thumb drive. It can be a small hassle at times, but overall it has been a pretty good and compact solution for me in bridging the gap between my iPad and my files.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone mentioned it or not, but Sandisk sells a wireless thumb drive. It can be a small hassle at times, but overall it has been a pretty good and compact solution for me in bridging the gap between my iPad and my files.

Hello & welcome to the forum! :) Now, a USB thumb drive will not attach to an iPad, so please provide the model of the device and any links that may help others to explore this option suggested. Now, I have the AirStash which has a USB connection which is used for charging the device and also for transfer to a computer (i.e. desktop or laptop w/ standard USB ports) - transfer of files, e.g. pics, between an iPad & the AirStash device is done by an app installed on the iPad and a personal Wi-Fi network setup by the AirStash - works well; I assume that the product you are describing works in a similar fashion? Thanks - Dave

Airfoil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, you don't plug it in to the iPad you connect to it via WiFi. For regular use, you can set the device up to go through your existing wifi network so you can access the files and internet at the same time. You can also connect directly to the device at other times. For using the files elsewhere, you just plug it in to any USB and use it like a normal thumb drive.

I got the 64gb version for the ExFAT support, but have since changed it back to Fat32. The 16 and 32gb models are Fat32 only, but there is nothing stopping you from putting a 64gb fat32 Micro-SD card in them.

http://www.sandisk.com/products/wireless/flash-drive/

Most reactions