What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

External Devices

DeVille

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I jus recently purchased an iPad 2, and Im wonder if the USB adapter the iPad has will allow me to use my external hard drive ?

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DeVille said:
I jus recently purchased an iPad 2, and Im wonder if the USB adapter the iPad has will allow me to use my external hard drive ?

Yes...as long as the hard drive is powered. The USB port does not output enough juice to power a stand-alone hard drive.

OP
D

DeVille

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OUTL4W said:
Yes...as long as the hard drive is powered. The USB port does not output enough juice to power a stand-alone hard drive.

Will the external have to B reformatted if it was originally used on a PC? If so I will lose all my info if it is required to B reformatted?

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not exactly sure others may know but I do know you won't be able to browse the file structure to find movies, files etc. I think the ipad2 will only look for pics to import off the hd. In order to fully utilize....you would need ifile from cydia and that requires jb....sorry. Not sure if any of the movie players in the app store can stream from external devices others may know.

Last edited:

maliu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DeVille said:

No it won't.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
+1 to maliu

It will not work. But there are wireless alternatives like Airstash for some limited external access but that is inbound to the iPad only. Also consider Hyperdrive.

Most reactions

Latest posts