What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

external back up ?

willtryit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I have an olde i book G4 with 10.3.9...still going strong (but a bit slow).
That OS does not accommodate sync with i pad..but i went and got an i pad anyway..
I do not need a full laptop with all the latest things..
i pad fits ALL my needs perfectly.

my question is: is there any way to make either online backups (like with carbonate or other company which backs up macs) or full cloud backups of all the info on my i pad?

I am dismally afraid that this would not be possible.

IDID hear a rumor that we will be able to get upgrades through wifi in June,without logging and syncing with i tunes and another Mac.

If anyone has any suggestions what to do (other than purchasing a new Mac)
to save all my present information on my i pad 1..
I would be very gratefulk to hear it.

willtryit

Reaction score
Well, to make a backup of the iPad iTunes is required. You can save documents, etc. in the cloud through apps, such as Dropbox, but there is no way of making a backup of the whole iPad without iTunes.

To install iTunes 10, the version required to sync with the iPad, you would need at least Mac OS X Leopard, or Windows XP, Vista or 7.

Since you already have a mac and probably can't update to newer Mac OS, there is the option of installing a virtual windows, through Parallels Desktop, install iTunes in the virtual windows and then make a backup. It isn't the neatest solution, but apart from buying a new Mac, it may very well be the only one.

OP
W

willtryit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thank you very much for the response..

i wonder ..

well, i will definitely look into the possible solution you mentioned (virtual windows)..I will need to do a google search as i have no idea what that is.

i do not care if it is 'messy'..as long as it does the job.

many thanks
willtryit

Most reactions

Latest posts