What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extended keyboard app

berniwhite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm trying to find a good extended keyboard to replace the very average default one. Look in the app store but nothing very interesting.
Someone got an idea?
I hate having to place the cursor manually to delete or add something in the text!

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try Radial. Split keyboard, bigger keys, different style o takes a bit of getting used to but works nicely.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can't replace the system's touch keyboard. Some apps can and do modify the keyboard within those apps. You can do your typing there then cut & paste to the app you want, or maybe the app does what want. To the best of my knowledge this is the best you can do for the touch keyboard. For now at least.

Storyist is the only app I have that has cursor keys. That's probably overkill for what you want.

Most people who want a better keyboard for typing on the iPad (for more than a few sentences) go with an external bluetooth keyboard; like Mtnmedic's suggestion.

There are lots of options, as most bluetooth keyboards will pair and work with the iPad. Apple's keyboard is popular, and Amazon just came out with what looks like a decent keyboard for a little over half the price. It is called the AmazonBasics Bluetooth keyboard but made very much with iPad's in mind. Also in this group are special mobile (folding) keyboards and keyboard cases for the iPad.

Try a few searches in the forum and on Google. You'll find plenty of options to mull over.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
You can't replace the system's touch keyboard. Some apps can and do modify the keyboard within those apps. You can do your typing there then cut & paste to the app you want, or maybe the app does what want. To the best of my knowledge this is the best you can do for the touch keyboard. For now at least.

Storyist is the only app I have that has cursor keys. That's probably overkill for what you want.

Most people who want a better keyboard for typing on the iPad (for more than a few sentences) go with an external bluetooth keyboard; like Mtnmedic's suggestion.

There are lots of options, as most bluetooth keyboards will pair and work with the iPad. Apple's keyboard is popular, and Amazon just came out with what looks like a decent keyboard for a little over half the price. It is called the AmazonBasics Bluetooth keyboard but made very much with iPad's in mind. Also in this group are special mobile (folding) keyboards and keyboard cases for the iPad.

Try a few searches in the forum and on Google. You'll find plenty of options to mull over.

Actually, Radial is an app.

For doing lots of typing, I use the Apple wireless keyboard (for those who don't want to plunk down the coin- and it's not cheap- MacAlly makes a knock-off that looks, feels and functions very similarly to the Apple product for half the price). Awaiting the new Touchfire physical on-screen keyboard I preordered, which promises to allow me to touch-type no matter where I'm at without having to drag along an external keyboard. This thing is thin, flexible and stores on the Smart Cover.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Actually, Radial is an app.

My mistake. I should have checked to be sure. :eek:

Awaiting the new Touchfire physical on-screen keyboard I preordered, which promises to allow me to touch-type no matter where I'm at without having to drag along an external keyboard. This thing is thin, flexible and stores on the Smart Cover.

I saw those. I can't decide how useful it would be. <not-so-subtle hint> Hopefully 'someone' will share their experience with it soon.</not-so-subtle hint> ;)

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I saw those. I can't decide how useful it would be. <not-so-subtle hint> Hopefully 'someone' will share their experience with it soon.</not-so-subtle hint> ;)

I plan on posting a full review here if someone else doesn't. I've been eager for something like this because I'm also a writer and I have zero desire to haul around my nice Apple Wireless Keyboard nor spend all my time tapping on the on-screen keyboard for a number of reasons. Short stuff like emails, sure. Manuscripts, reports and papers, no. Touch-typing when I have something in my head while relaxing at the lake, cafe, or even waiting a couple of hours at the airport, etc. beats the snot out of being at my desk any day.

Last edited:

Pkchainsaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my touchfire and i think i like it. I dont think I'd want to type a term paper using it, however for small things it works. You can actually touch type using it. Pros so far: 1) works with smart cover so you have it on with the smart cover closed 2) works with the smart coveropened because it comes with 2 little magnetic recepticals so it "sticks" to the inside of the smart cover and is totally out of the way when you open the cover and fold it in half. 3) it seems that you can also fold it into the smart cover when you use the cover as a stand. Nothing has been said about doing this on the offical website, so I'm a bit concerned about whether this will actually create a crease eventually. Cons: 2)it's not a real keyboard, but i didn't expect it to be. 2) as i suggested earlier, i'm somewhat concerned with long term durability.

Pkchainsaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure. They might be. I had pre-ordered mine about 3 months ago, and then got an email that they were shipping. The email came with a special link, which I used (I had "reserved" mine with a $10 deposit). I got my touchfire about a week ago. The other plus about it that I forgot to mention is that it adds almost no weight to the ipad. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Still waiting for my Touchfire. I usually super patient but ths has really dragged on...

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 3 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts