Extend Storage?

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by Sonicrobby, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I'm looking to migrate from my pc to my iPad, but I feel like I'm years away from that...the main issue is that I have 500GB of data... What are my options to access these from my iPad? (I'd prefer them not being remote desktop clients)
  2. OUTL4W

OUTL4W iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Do you really need all 500 gb? Not everthing on your pc will be compatible with the ipad anyways. Not sure if you have ipad 1 or 2 but you could always wait till Monday for apples announcements at wwdc about icloud. Doubt you'll have 500gb of personal use though.
    If on iPad 1 you could jailbreak and use a powered portable hd to hookup to ipad1 and use ifile from cydia to navigate the hd for music&movies...If on ipad2 then wait till 5.0 or jb is released.
  3. Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Actually I kind of do, it's mostly videos, images, and music (yeah, I know, it's extensive xD). Sorry i didnt mention, ipad 1st gen, jailborken on 4.3.2. I actually though about getting the cam kit for that purpose a while back, but I remember reding somewhere that ios4 didn't provide as much power to the kit anymore to preserve battery. Not sure if this is fact or not, but would my iPad power a portable hardrive?

Also, I'm not expecting too much from the icloud. Especially since it will eventually be a paid service, which I am definitely not interested in.
  4. iRuthlessPad

iRuthlessPad iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I expect apple to bring ipad 3 with 1 gb memory so that more people use their icloud service..lol :p
  5. OUTL4W

OUTL4W iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    The hd has to have it's own power supply...And then connect via camera connection kit....then using ifile from cydia to navigate hd.

Or if you want to try:
    http://www.ipadforums.net/apple-ipa...unches-first-mobile-wireless-storage-ios.html

A lil pricey though....
  6. DrHouse

DrHouse iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    Have a look at Tonido in the app store. They have a server part running on a PC that will give you access to all your hard disk locally and over the net. You still need a PC, but it's pretty useful. That what I did to share my 320 gigs with my iPad and iPhone.

VicoPad addict!
  7. Mountainbikermark

Mountainbikermark iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I use Splashtop to manipulate my desktop from my iPad. I don't have to transfer anything anywhere. I just fire up the app and use the desktop from my iPad. Music, videos, Outlook, you name it. It is literally using the desktop but shows up on the iPad.

Support Our Troops!
    This post was Tapatalk approved
    Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my Apple tablet
  8. Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    So if it's a 2.5" portable hardrive that is powered by the same USB that connects to the kit, then it wouldn't work?

I've tried splashtop, and it was great, but I couldnt set it up to be accessible from anywhere. I've opened the ports and firewall on my router settings, but still wouldn't connect outside my network. Plus I wanted something that probably wouldn't require me leaving the PC on.
  9. Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Well Casanova It was, but then I've converted all my DVDs to avi or mp4 files, now I have over 300GB in videos alone. XP

I am intrigued by the goflex though. It seems to have what I need, I can access all my files from my iPad, laptops, and desktops, and phone, and it's portable too. But it is a bit pricey... The only thing I'm wondering is how long it lasts on a charge and if the hardrive within can be exchanged to a terrabite (if needed).