What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exporting iMessages

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What (free, if any) options do I have on an iPad running iOS 8.1.3 if I want to export all imessages (including attachments/photos)? Preferably into HTML or RTF files.
(I only know of the option of copying the sms.db file from an iDevice when it's jailbroken.)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have a Mac, and if you've got Messages on it linked to your iPhone/iPad, then you can print conversations. One of the options in the Print dialog is to save as a PDF.

Caveats:

Only works with messages since you've linked the computer and device. It won't pull history from the iPad.

Only works with SMS if you've linked with an iPhone on iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite.

iMessages works with just an iPad, as long as the computer and iPad have the same iCloud account and iMessages turned on both devices.

It's PDF, which isn't small or ideal for searching, but it does preserve small versions of any images, and emoji.

Side Note: PDF files become reasonably searchable if they are stored in Evernote with a Premium account.

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And if I have Windows, I'm out of luck till next jailbreak or something?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't know. I can only give you is the method I know of. It's not meant to say there are no other methods.

There might be. There are tools that will extract information from iTunes backups (off of a computer). It's possible one of those can extract Message history.

But for extracting data directly off the iPad, yes, you're probably going to have to use a jailbreak.

It might still be possible to go back to iOS 8.1.2. Last I heard the signing window had not closed yet. Check the latest news in the Hacking area, under the jailbreak status for iOS 8.

Most reactions

Latest posts