What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expect ALL schoolchildren to be using iPads in the near future

JDFlood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mobi1 said:
Rather ludicrous idea I'd say.

Millions of school children in Africa/China/India will continue to use pencil and paper notepad and will still learn everything to take jobs away from iPad carrying kids from America and Western Europe.

Yes, but that does not preclude us from using technology to leverage our teachers. You can build huge structures with just brute force (like the pyramids) or you can use technology to leverage your people. Like in, the wars we have fought, the businesses we have succeeded with, the skyscrapers we have built. If the US has any hope of maintaining it's standard of living. It will come through education. We need massive increases in spending on education if we are to regain our technology edge. The world has become a very competitive place. The iPad can be used as a window into much of the knowledge of the human race. It can cater to the learning rate and skill levels of the users and help reduce burdens on teachers.

In ten years i can't believe there will be many schools left using books. They take too many resources to create and go out of date too quick. JD

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
JDFlood said:
Yes, but that does not preclude us from using technology to leverage our teachers. You can build huge structures with just brute force (like the pyramids) or you can use technology to leverage your people. Like in, the wars we have fought, the businesses we have succeeded with, the skyscrapers we have built. If the US has any hope of maintaining it's standard of living. It will come through education. We need massive increases in spending on education if we are to regain our technology edge. The world has become a very competitive place. The iPad can be used as a window into much of the knowledge of the human race. It can cater to the learning rate and skill levels of the users and help reduce burdens on teachers.

In ten years i can't believe there will be many schools left using books. They take too many resources to create and go out of date too quick. JD

Yes, I agree, our school has in my 11years gone through 3 versions of syllabus, and we are now on our 4th. This means 4/5 labs x 30 books each and that is just 3 years worth and then it gets changed again. Really annoying. If there were ebook text books and then updates like in the apps that would be good. Unfortunately, our school will never get the money for iPads. Our budget is too low.

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

uniquename

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a school district in Texas that has replaced text books with Kindles.
That makes much more sense to me than an iPad if they are going to be using them as TEXT BOOK replacements.
As far as Kindergarten, my 3 year old has already mastered my iPad.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved

I can see a kindle far faster than an ipad. If nothing else, it would save the kids backs. My elementary school kids have incredibly heavy backpacks.

I'd supply the kindle/ereader if they would license the books.

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I teach middle school kids. The problem is see with them having iPads is keeping them of the Internet when they are supposed to be using a book. This is a problem already, even with desktops and laptops. in a full class, it's a nightmare for the teachers to monitor. The next issue is keeping up with them, making sure the kids don't walk out of class with them. We have a few nook color ereaders in my class, and they are already trying to get on the Internet to play games. We have codes to keep them from making purchases, that helps, but can't stop them from getting on the Internet.

New technology is always a great idea, but our schools don't get the money to really keep up, and in some schools, the kids are very destructive. They drop, and tear up equipment as fast as we get it.

We have purchased iPads for a test group of teachers, to see how they can implement the new technology in their classrooms. Some have started using them with their students.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oklahoma State University has finished a program that proved enogh savings for students over paper text books to pay for the iPads. With the amount of text books a school buys every year, it would eventually pay for a continuous annual purchase of them. The ability to allow students to surf the web for research is a good reason for choosing over Kindles. Advantages of iBooks texts would be that they can be updated and corrected as an ongoing process. As for other issues, they only need wifi models, and since it requires a password to add any apps, games and things would not be an issue. Breakage can be countered with tough covers. There are ways that you can restrict the locations a student can go on the internet, but one thing you can be sure of, students will always be trying to crack the system.

I do not know if iPads will replace many of the things that students need in class, but I think we will be trying real hard. Even losing an iPad is not as bad as losing a textbook. If Apple develops a FindMyiPad method that would work on wifi models, it would be easy to keep track of them. The use of iPads in schools will require a lot of study and many tweaks, but it also allows for a lot of potential. Imagine how teachers could save paper by sending class supplements by downloads. 3-D examples of how wonders of the world. And videos that show events and activities. A student goes home sick can follow the classroom training with a video of the teacher, transmitted tests.

Last edited:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
yes! If our school could afford them, I'm sure we could put them to good use. I work with special needs students and some of them work better on a computer than with pen and paper. Autistic, kinaesthetic learners, dyslexia, etc... All of these special needs would be able to use this iPad technology. We don't have enough computers in our school and they are restricted to the it rooms so limited access and timetabled to IT department most of the time so other subjects suffer. Brilliant thread!

JDFlood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
Yes, I agree, our school has in my 11years gone through 3 versions of syllabus, and we are now on our 4th. This means 4/5 labs x 30 books each and that is just 3 years worth and then it gets changed again. Really annoying. If there were ebook text books and then updates like in the apps that would be good. Unfortunately, our school will never get the money for iPads. Our budget is too low.

Well, the good news is tablets will come down in cost dramatically. Millions are being deployed in business. Fast App generators are being created. I just saw a demo of Avon's ( home makeup sales) new home sales application that replaces paper for the sales rep, it let's the sales person show what the makeup looks like on the person, check availability in a couple seconds, see the person's purchase history, and place the order. There are 6 million Avon sales people. I am At a technology conference, every company, like Proctor and Gambles, home depot, dupont have programs that will include thousands of iPads, and include marketing plans to enable customer stuff on them. This is the real beginning of the largest technological avalanche the world has ever seen! The costs will come down, and tablets will become much more ubiquitous than laptops, and very soon. There has never been a more exciting time for electronics in history and this is just the swell. JD

kwgrimes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is a terrible idea for many different reasons. The costs would be astronomical. They would be dropped and broken...
If a tablet was needed, it could be made a HELL of a lot cheaper than the iPad and still be fine for textbooks.

I agree with this part if what you said. I have to say I feel sorry for kids that I see walking to school with a 50 pound backpack on. They are going to have back problems before they're 20! My question is, what does a school pay for textbooks for one child for twelve years? Stop printing the books, stop making the kids carry them, but definitely use some electronic thing that is a fully functioning PC!

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Some schools also give the kids books on disks, so they don't have to drag books back and forth. The problem with them taking textbooks home is they don't bring them back and some parents don't make sure they are returned.

If the iPads go home , they will not make it back either.

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iluvmyipad said:
Some schools also give the kids books on disks, so they don't have to drag books back and forth. The problem with them taking textbooks home is they don't bring them back and some parents don't make sure they are returned.

If the iPads go home , they will not make it back either.

:) made me smile

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was speaking to my Deputy Head yesterday and he wanted to see my iPad and how I used it! I was gobsmacked, is this my chance to interest my school. Anybody know what will impress him when I do!

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
yeah, but I'm sure he's intelligent enough to know the price of these things. Hee hee. I would hope so anyway. He needs to know anything that would enhance our students learning. I know the obvious ones but any new apps that would benefit 11-16 year old would be great.

robottycoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.robottycoon.com
Awesomeness!!!

WOW! Its so great if ever that the school will provide that next year. Its a very great idea, instead of carrying heavy books use the ipad to study. And there are lots iPad games also that intended for education. I mean it a educational game for kids. it really help to kids to learn new things a build learning to them. The game is the latest educational game on iPad. Jus try it. You can download the game here.

Most reactions

Latest posts