Exchanging 32gb for 64 gb... iOS Question

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by BlueSky77, Oct 2, 2012.

1. BlueSky77

BlueSky77
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I am considering exchanging my 3 week old 32 gb ipad 3 (wifi only with ios 5.1.1) for the larger 64 gb ipad3 (wifi only) because I need more space. I recently purchased the 32 gb iPad just prior to iOS 6 release. Fortunately for me, Best Buy allows for exchanges like this within 30 days of purchase.

If I make this exchange, will the new 64 gb ipad force me to upgrade to iOS6 when I initially boot up or will I be able to keep 5.1? After reading of the numerous problems people seem to be having with iOS 6, I really don't want to upgrade until all these issues are sorted out. I absolutely LOVE my ipad 3 with iOS 5.1.1. If the upgrade is inevitable, then maybe I'll just keep my 32 gb iPad.

#1 BlueSky77, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  2. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    None of the problems with iOS 6 are universal, however of you don't want it that's your choice.

Right now you should be able to get 5.1.1 on a new iPad, and you'll never regret the 64Gb. Just play safe and ask in the store which OS it has.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

3. AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Throwing my 2 cents in - I also have no regrets
    getting 64gb. Go big or go home. ;)

AA

4. BlueSky77

BlueSky77
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the reply. It's somewhat reassuring that the iOS6 problems are not universal. My biggest concerns are the wifi issue and the battery draining issue. I honestly don't remember whether my 32 gb ipad forced me to install an update or not when I first booted up. That's what I'm hoping I can avoid. I've had the 32 gb for 3 weeks and it's just about full right now so that 64gb is looking mighty appealing! :)

5. bj5485

bj5485
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    To be clear...I am buying the Ipad 3 on Thursday. Is there any chance it will come with iOS6 or will it come with iOS5 and I will have to upgrade on boot up?

6. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You will not HAVE TO update. The choice is entirely yours. You can stay on 5.1.1 as long as you like, and jailbreak if you want to, or update to ios 6 right away.

Same advice though. If you want 5.1.1 make sure that's what you walk out of the store with.

@BlueSky. I love that signature.

7. buerkletucson

buerkletucson
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    There are a lot of iPads in the pipeline so you won't see a new issued unit with iOS 6 for a little while.
    Don't let iOS 6 worry you.....I love it and have zero problems as I suspect most are experiencing.
    You only hear from the vocal few that do have issues....whether it's real or imagined.

Is this 30 day exchange a universal thing or just at Best Buy? Apple Store?

#7 buerkletucson, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  8. BlueSky77

BlueSky77
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks @KevinJS... good to know and I will definately check which iOS is on the 64gb when I do the exchange.

9. bj5485

bj5485
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the input. My original question was misleading because I actually want iOS6 and have no trouble upgrading.

10. BlueSky77

BlueSky77
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I purchased my 32gb from Best Buy and their policy is 30 day return/exchange... very fortunate for me! :) I don't know what the Apple Store policy is.