Excel spreadsheet

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by nancy42, Sep 17, 2011.

1. nancy42

nancy42 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Would like to transfer an excel spreadsheet from my computer to my iPad and update it while I am out of town. Is there an app to help me do this?
  2. jeo245

jeo245 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How about Numbers?
  3. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    As long as the spreadsheet is not too complex Document to Go can be used to emulate Excel. However, you won't be "updating" the original spreadsheet when you use it. You'll have to save the updated spreadsheet and then use Excel to access it. (That's true of Apple's "Numbers," as well.

If you truly want to "update" the original spreadsheet, your best bet is to use a program like "Logmein Ignition" to access your home/work pc over the internet and use your iPad to manipulate the Excel program directly.
  4. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,960 / 0
    Along with either of those two programs for your out-of-town management of spreadsheets, may I suggest Dropbox?

It's cloud storage and it's free for the first 2GB. With it, you can put that Excel spread sheet up "in the cloud" from your home computer, download it later to your iPad, make your updates and then re-store it back to the cloud (with the changes) for access from anywhere that's Internet capable (or from your home computer or the iPad...again).

Dropbox makes traveling easy because you can keep your stuff up-to-date while on the go. Plus, the app (and home computer program) are free.

Just a thought...

Marilyn
  5. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    One of our members carried out a survey of Office apps for his company; you can see his conclusions in this thread...

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/22431-hi-all.html

Another comparison was undertaken here....

http://www.ipadforums.net/iwork-forum/36629-office-app-comparison.html

The Apple iWorks Office suite for the iPad has a set of useful Help pages that show their capabilities here...

Pages is Word compatible and can read .doc and .docx files and save in .doc and .pdf

Keynote is PowerPoint compatible and can read .ppt and .pptx files and save in .ppt and .pdf

Numbers is Excel compatible and can read .xls and .xlsx files and save in .xls and .pdf

Apple - Support - iOS Apps - Welcome

Tim