What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Excel on iPad

Zaqim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, I've had an iPad for about three days now and as a toy, I am in love.

I didn't pick up the iPad to use primarily as a business tool, but I would like to be able to use a handful of my Excel workbooks when out of the office. Nothing too intensive, just entering figures into previously formatted workbooks.

Now the spreadsheets are somewhat complex. Merged cells. Nested logic formulas. (if, and, or) Date formulas. Conditional formatting. There are no macros or VBA programming, so I was hopeful that I may be able to view and enter data into my workbooks.

From what I've found in today's app research, there are some apps that support some of these features.

Is anyone aware of an app that supports all or most of these features? The formulas are far more important (my numbers have to be right) to me than the formatting. It would be nice to have the best of both worlds...

Thanks! P.S., if I posted in the wrong forum, I'm sorry. New kid and all. :p

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of our members carried out a survey of Office apps for his company; you can see his conclusions in this thread...

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/22431-hi-all.html

Another comparison was undertaken here....

http://www.ipadforums.net/iwork-forum/36629-office-app-comparison.html

The Apple iWorks Office suite for the iPad has a set of useful Help pages that show their capabilities here...

Pages is Word compatible and can read .doc and .docx files and save in .doc and .pdf

Keynote is PowerPoint compatible and can read .ppt and .pptx files and save in .ppt and .pdf

Numbers is Excel compatible and can read .xls and .xlsx files and save in .xls and .pdf

Apple - Support - iOS Apps - Welcome

Tim

OP
Z

Zaqim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I was able to find a complete formulas in iWork's Numbers, which was a huge help.

SouthernDad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't bother messing with the rest, go to the source. Numbers works great. I've had a few spreadsheets that have a cell or two that have a formula that just won't compute but I love having the flexibility of being able to handle my spreadsheets on a tablet. If you've purchased the Numbers app for your iPad, you can now put it on your iPhone as well. You'll become a master of the pinch to zoom, however.

OP
Z

Zaqim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I actually found that unless I want to redesign all of my spreadsheets, there are no real options for me. I haven't decided yet, if the mobility is worth the man hours required.

I'm now considering a remote desktop app as an option, but I'm still in research mode on that point.

I do need to master the pinch to zoom though. I always accidentally zoom in too far. :eek:

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
my_ipad_2011 said:
Is docs to go excel good enough ? Or quick office?

Depends on your specific needs. However, if I did extensive spreadsheet work on my iPad, I'd get Numbers. If I did extensive WORD documents, I'd get Pages. If I did extensive presentations, I'd get Keynote.

I chose DTG (but used QO in the past on other platforms) and it is good enough for me. If I need more, I access my laptop using one of the remote desktop apps (e.g. Splashtop).

my_ipad_2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Beryl said:
Depends on your specific needs. However, if I did extensive spreadsheet work on my iPad, I'd get Numbers. If I did extensive WORD documents, I'd get Pages. If I did extensive presentations, I'd get Keynote.

I chose DTG (but used QO in the past on other platforms) and it is good enough for me. If I need more, I access my laptop using one of the remote desktop apps (e.g. Splashtop).

I tried to download splashtop streamer on my laptop but it's not working. I already downloaded splashtop remote desktop now my problem here is the streamer...

goody81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone know how to edit a PDF file or can't it be done. I'm struggling to sort this. Help please!!!!

RedCoil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone know how to edit a PDF file or can't it be done. I'm struggling to sort this. Help please!!!!

GoodReader is your best bet (in my opinion at least) if you're looking to edit and annotate PDF files.

Most reactions