What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Excel capabilities on iPad

amanda.d

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would really like to purchase an iPad, but I want to make sure I can use it for creating Excel files. I need it for Quantitative Chemistry work (if anyone happens to be a chemist and understands what that entails). I need to be able to preform not only the basic Excel functions, but also the "Solver" and "Data Analysis" tools. I know there are apps and websites that can be used to create .xlsx files on the iPad, but do any have ALL these capabilities?

I hope someone knows about this! I have asked 2 Apple representatives, and a couple Best Buy employees and haven't had any luck with anyone knowing enough about excel to know what I was talking about. The best I got was to purchase a Macbook Air just in case I couldn't, but I REALLY don't want to spend the $1000+

Thank You!

msstormies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
amanda.d said:
I would really like to purchase an iPad, but I want to make sure I can use it for creating Excel files. I need it for Quantitative Chemistry work (if anyone happens to be a chemist and understands what that entails). I need to be able to preform not only the basic Excel functions, but also the "Solver" and "Data Analysis" tools. I know there are apps and websites that can be used to create .xlsx files on the iPad, but do any have ALL these capabilities?

I hope someone knows about this! I have asked 2 Apple representatives, and a couple Best Buy employees and haven't had any luck with anyone knowing enough about excel to know what I was talking about. The best I got was to purchase a Macbook Air just in case I couldn't, but I REALLY don't want to spend the $1000+

Thank You!

http://www.bytesquared.com/products/office/iphone/
This might work looking for one, for my son to.
Mstormy

msstormies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
amanda.d said:

Thank You!

Found some more

http://www.dataviz.com/products/documentstogo/iphone/

There is this one but the app and site don't make since

http://www.futuremediastudio.com/

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I would really like to purchase an iPad, but I want to make sure I can use it for creating Excel files. I need it for Quantitative Chemistry work (if anyone happens to be a chemist and understands what that entails).....

Hi Amanda - welcome to the forum! :)

There are a number of MS Office type applications that are available for the iPad - I'm using Numbers which is part of the iWork Suite and $10 from the Apple App store - I've created and imported a few Excel files - this is pretty impressive on the iPad but certainly does not have the power & features of the MS version - you'll have to do some research or await others' responses.

There are a number of excellent threads here on 'business apps' if you care to search - hopefully others will chime in to help - good luck!

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I personally do not like Numbers and use Quickofficeinstead. However, its functionality is limited compared to that of the pc version.

If Excel is what you need, I would not get an ipad but a netbook or small laptop instead for half the price.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of our members carried out a survey of Office apps for his company; you can see his conclusions in this thread...

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/22431-hi-all.html

Another comparison was undertaken here....

http://www.ipadforums.net/iwork-forum/36629-office-app-comparison.html

The Apple iWorks Office suite for the iPad has a set of useful Help pages that show their capabilities here...

Pages is Word compatible and can read .doc and .docx files and save in .doc and .pdf

Keynote is PowerPoint compatible and can read .ppt and .pptx files and save in .ppt and .pdf

Numbers is Excel compatible and can read .xls and .xlsx files and save in .xls and .pdf

Apple - Support - iOS Apps - Welcome

Tim

msstormies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
One of our members carried out a survey of Office apps for his company; you can see his conclusions in this thread...

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/22431-hi-all.html

Another comparison was undertaken here....

http://www.ipadforums.net/iwork-forum/36629-office-app-comparison.html

The Apple iWorks Office suite for the iPad has a set of useful Help pages that show their capabilities here...

Pages is Word compatible and can read .doc and .docx files and save in .doc and .pdf

Keynote is PowerPoint compatible and can read .ppt and .pptx files and save in .ppt and .pdf

Numbers is Excel compatible and can read .xls and .xlsx files and save in .xls and .pdf

Apple - Support - iOS Apps - Welcome

Tim

This is fantastic thank u!
Mstormy

Twiddles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad just doesn't do Excel correctly unless it's the most basic type. Anything using list functions or data filter functions just don't work. Frustrating as I need both to use the IPad as my source for the documents.

You can still use an RDP though and then use Excel natively on a PC or Mac

WilsonKiw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Twiddles suggestion above is the most practical. Use a VPN to access Excel from a PC or Mac.

Tips For Excel has some other solutions for using Excel on the iPad too

tips-for-excel.com/2011/07/how-to-use-excel-on-an-ipad/

Does anyone else know the best option for making powerpoint presentations on iPad for use on a PC later on?

sir_ben

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Twiddles suggestion above is the most practical. Use a VPN to access Excel from a PC or Mac.

Tips For Excel has some other solutions for using Excel on the iPad too

tips-for-excel.com/2011/07/how-to-use-excel-on-an-ipad/

Does anyone else know the best option for making powerpoint presentations on iPad for use on a PC later on?

You could use Keynote and export the presentations that you made to PDF. But I bet that you want them as PowerPoint files right? Currently, I think it can't be done yet using Keynote. I think QuickOffice Pro HD will serve you better.

sch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Amanda,

Basically, at this point, you're out of luck. There is no Excel app available on the iPad (I've tried them all) that has the depth of what you need for your requirements. My own special need is for drop-down cell validation... a seemingly simple function that greatly enhances what you can do crafting spreadsheets for small screens, but alas, not a single app has this.

I've heard through the grapevine that MS does talk about developing Excel for iPad, as they already have a Mac Office component. But, the issue is always do they want to sell more devices that directly compete with their own current/future products.

Bottom line right now is all the Excel apps are anaemic to the point of being useless to any Excel power user.

Cheers,

ambiensse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.effigyblinds.co.uk
Well I've read alot of these forums and it really depends how much you expect an app to do. If you read the comments about Numbers for the iPad it would seem most were written by numpties who want everything done for them, many even claiming numbers won't open excel workbooks with more than one worksheet and that formatting doesn't transfer across. The only error message I was that 2 fonts weren't recognised and had been replaced. No biggie to me as the sheets looked the same and behaved better as the ability to zoom with two fingers saves about 5 hours a month over using Excel.
I now know to work out all my formulae either in Excel and then copy and paste values into the sheets rather than the leave formulae in place or to re-write them when in numbers. To get the complete workbook across I simply email it to one of my email accounts which I can open with the iPad then double click to open the file then option to open in Numbers. After this you are on your own as I'm not used to Numbers yet but it behaves much the same way as Lotus 1-2-3 which I was using 20 odd years ago. I still haven't cracked editing the formats yet or discovered how to print but then I can do that easily from my PC laptop
I'll come back to this and let you know any updates when I learn how.
Regards

ChaystEr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can Numbers app insert pictures on the excel file? Basically i just need to edit some texts on my excel file and insert jpeg pictures and its good to go.. If not what app for Excel does this? TIA

jbstrong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm curious to know if the next ipad will have a higher functioning excel program? I've read a bunch of rumors and even looked at other tablets to see if anyone is addressing this problem? I have excel files set up with drop down lists that are dependent of one another. I would like to use it for my business. I have two versions and one involves clothing and accessories. Since each product is tailored to the client As I take measurements and requests for material i go through the list in person and once all the variables are accounted for the excel file gives me the final options. I kept it pretty basic without the use of macros but have had to use validation and drop down menu's to make it easier and faster to service my clients. Any news if these functions will some day be available would be appreciated. I have looked at all the current apps out there and none of them can do this. I know Google docs can do this to a certain extent but the formatting gets altered when loading it to Gdocs or downloading to my imac. Hopefully some news of the specs will come out before the release of the new ipad.

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IOS or Android, the one that provides this funtionality the earlier will take a nice advantage over the other.

Most reactions