Excel capabilities on iPad

Discussion in 'iPad at Work' started by amanda.d, Aug 28, 2011.

1. amanda.d

amanda.d
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I would really like to purchase an iPad, but I want to make sure I can use it for creating Excel files. I need it for Quantitative Chemistry work (if anyone happens to be a chemist and understands what that entails). I need to be able to preform not only the basic Excel functions, but also the "Solver" and "Data Analysis" tools. I know there are apps and websites that can be used to create .xlsx files on the iPad, but do any have ALL these capabilities?

I hope someone knows about this! I have asked 2 Apple representatives, and a couple Best Buy employees and haven't had any luck with anyone knowing enough about excel to know what I was talking about. The best I got was to purchase a Macbook Air just in case I couldn't, but I REALLY don't want to spend the $1000+

Thank You!

2. msstormies

msstormies
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    http://www.bytesquared.com/products/office/iphone/
    This might work looking for one, for my son to.
    Mstormy

3. msstormies

msstormies
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Found some more

http://www.dataviz.com/products/documentstogo/iphone/

There is this one but the app and site don't make since

http://www.futuremediastudio.com/

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Hi Amanda - welcome to the forum! :)

There are a number of MS Office type applications that are available for the iPad - I'm using Numbers which is part of the iWork Suite and $10 from the Apple App store - I've created and imported a few Excel files - this is pretty impressive on the iPad but certainly does not have the power & features of the MS version - you'll have to do some research or await others' responses.

There are a number of excellent threads here on 'business apps' if you care to search - hopefully others will chime in to help - good luck!

5. Gzoladz

Gzoladz
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I personally do not like Numbers and use Quickofficeinstead. However, its functionality is limited compared to that of the pc version.

If Excel is what you need, I would not get an ipad but a netbook or small laptop instead for half the price.

6. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    One of our members carried out a survey of Office apps for his company; you can see his conclusions in this thread...

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/22431-hi-all.html

Another comparison was undertaken here....

http://www.ipadforums.net/iwork-forum/36629-office-app-comparison.html

The Apple iWorks Office suite for the iPad has a set of useful Help pages that show their capabilities here...

Pages is Word compatible and can read .doc and .docx files and save in .doc and .pdf

Keynote is PowerPoint compatible and can read .ppt and .pptx files and save in .ppt and .pdf

Numbers is Excel compatible and can read .xls and .xlsx files and save in .xls and .pdf

Apple - Support - iOS Apps - Welcome

Tim

7. msstormies

msstormies
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    This is fantastic thank u!
    Mstormy

8. Twiddles

Twiddles
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    iPad just doesn't do Excel correctly unless it's the most basic type. Anything using list functions or data filter functions just don't work. Frustrating as I need both to use the IPad as my source for the documents.

You can still use an RDP though and then use Excel natively on a PC or Mac

9. WilsonKiw

WilsonKiw
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Twiddles suggestion above is the most practical. Use a VPN to access Excel from a PC or Mac.

Tips For Excel has some other solutions for using Excel on the iPad too

tips-for-excel.com/2011/07/how-to-use-excel-on-an-ipad/

Does anyone else know the best option for making powerpoint presentations on iPad for use on a PC later on?

10. sir_ben

sir_ben
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    You could use Keynote and export the presentations that you made to PDF. But I bet that you want them as PowerPoint files right? Currently, I think it can't be done yet using Keynote. I think QuickOffice Pro HD will serve you better.