Exceeded number of package names?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by Zergslayer69, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Zergslayer69

Zergslayer69 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    So cydia has been working just fine since the new jailbreak came out but today out of nowhere I got this error in the attachment. I didn't install anything since it last updated correctly. Now nothing in the installed or changes tab shows up. Same for sources. Any idea how I can fix this?

Attached Files:

2. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 0
    This error comes up because you have too many packages for Cydia to handle. The solution is to delete some of your sources to lower the amount of packages Cydia has to load when you go to it (or refresh).

I would not recommend deleting the default sources - just take a hard look at the ones you've installed yourself. Once you've removed some of the packages/repos, this error should stop.

Marilyn
  3. Zergslayer69

Zergslayer69 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Ah is that all? I hear you don't need the ultra snow repo if you're not on an older device. Is this true?
  4. kidneyshot

kidneyshot iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Just an idea or thought: since the iOS 7 tweaks and such don't work with the older version and the amount of resources are capped .. Is there maybe a way to split up the packages to iOS 6 <<< and iOS 7+.
    Thanks for the tip.
  5. willerz2

willerz2 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +238 / 0
    That's done on the repository end unfortunately. Our client sided access/cache does not have the ability to filter as so, though Saurik probably should allow for filters based on iOS since there are still active devices on iOS 6, but that would require developers to take an extra step in applying tags

Sent from my iPhone via Tapa
  6. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 0
    That's true. So, yea, I'll change my advice to "I recommend you don't delete the default repos, except the ultra snow one ... if you're on a newer device." :)

Sorry, I forgot about that one. I already had deleted from my devices because it always threw up an error. But - that's not what's causing yours as you'll still just need to remove some....

Marilyn
  7. mradamfox

mradamfox iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cydia allows 65,000 packages... The default are 41,000.. If new are added, you'll receive that error. Limit yourself?f to adding only one other large one like A Piracy Repo or A Piracy Repo, etc... Between the default and A Piracy Repo, there aren't many more you really need. Hope that helps

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2014