What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

evo tether to iPad

Ian B

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea, I have the 2.2 ota. my understanding is that if you root it that there is no tether crack to get free wifi hot spot. All I am wanting to do is some how get My Ipad to connect to my Evo, to get internet. If I did not to the update I could get my my Ipad to connect though a known crack. Does any of you have a Evo with 2.2 that has been rooted that can get free wifi hot spot. Again thanks for all the help.

I do but, the free wifi comes through free wifi app and not Sprint's hot spot. My battery life has gone up to about 20 hrs with moderate use on a single charge. Currently have 10 hrs of use with 75% battery unused.

Ian B

Jaevo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a rooted evo running froyo with a custom rom, no there is no hotspot crack, and yes google code built a free wifi tether app for android. So you need to find out what Build your software is and head over to the xda-developers site and get yourself rooted, a word of caution though, you may run into problems depending on whether or not you installed the Ota updates. I use my evo strictly for tethering to my sweet azz jail broken iPad. Good luck pm me if you got a specific question about rooting. Dude also, type root eve 2.2 in google and you might get about 1000 hits!

blazin-asian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
try this app for tethering: code [dot] google [dot] com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/list?can=2&q=Evo

i have been tethering with my EVO for about a week now, but reception is not so great where i work so speeds are pretty slow.

i need 2 more posts before i can post links =)

Sarbear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So when it comes to rooting a phone I have no idea where to begin... I have the evo, so I have quickly become spoiled with my hotspot function... However I bought my husband an iPad for Christmas and simply thought tethering his sprint hero would be simple like my old blackberry, but you know what they say about assuming things... So here I am... I am presuming there is a rooting software ? That is step one? I just would like advice from someone who has successfully tethered a hero to an iPad...

nykbob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea, I have the 2.2 ota. my understanding is that if you root it that there is no tether crack to get free wifi hot spot. All I am wanting to do is some how get My Ipad to connect to my Evo, to get internet. If I did not to the update I could get my my Ipad to connect though a known crack. Does any of you have a Evo with 2.2 that has been rooted that can get free wifi hot spot. Again thanks for all the help.

My wife and I both have iPads and rooted Evos with 2.2 and have downloaded Wireless Tether for Root Users (mine is the newer version) 2.0.6

I can wireless tether but my wife has trouble getting hers to. My iPad is newer and came with 2.4.1 and hers was updated to that version. I have noticed that if the cell signal is weak I can not tether. I have updated her tether version and will try some things with hers. You may also want to turn off "Ask to Join Networks" on your iPad as it had an effect on mine.

alxcutioner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
actually i use my iPAD from my Rooted HTC evo runs perfect kinda slow at times cause of the location but other then that i surf the web with no problem

ocdetails

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You don't need to install a new ROM after rooting to do the wifi tether. I rooted 3 EVOs a couple weeks ago using unrEVOked 3. Then just install the free wifi tether app from the market and you are off to the races. Reflashing your ROM will require you to download all of your apps again, so use something like AppMonster to back them all up to your SD card first so you can just navigate there to bring them all back if you are going to do the whole ROM changing thing. There are benefits to getting a new ROM, but if all you are interested in is wifi tether, then there isn't a good reason for it. The fact my G2 went from 800 MHz to 1.5 GHz with a little creative kernel loading was good enough reason for me to play around beyond the root, but to each their own.

Oh, and EasyTether does have its uses. For one thing, your connection speeds are faster using EasyTether than just a wifi tether. I use EasyTether on my laptop and then use Conectify to create a hotspot from there that I can share with others. It is much faster than just regular wifi.

Last edited:

dshort10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to necro this thread but I can't pm anyone who has had success previously. I recently purchased an ipad2 and was wondering if you guys were still having success with wireless tethering your evo and ipads and if there was any recent insight you guys have. Thanks so much

jamesmckeephx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also used unrevoked its easy cuz it does everything for you. Just make sure you download the stuff you need on your computer. I use my evo with my ipad2 all the time. Just wish they had 4g in phx

Sent from my evo on tapatalk

stompyipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All the EVO owners responce are perfectly correct. This was the main reason for me to root my EVO and not get a IPAD2 with 3G. EVO 4G and ipad the way to go with wireless tethering. mine work perfectly

blazin-asian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
any wifi enabled device will be able to be tethered with the EVO. They are starting to crack down on tethering apps from the market, but for $10 you can get EasyTether or simply root and get the wifi tether app for free.

crash383

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using Mikfroyo 4.6. The HotSpot hack is active and I get 4g speeds when I am in a 4g area.

Most reactions