What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Evernote Web Clipper Installation

bobmielke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
bobmielke.smugmug.com
I'm quite a newbie so be kind. Just installed Evernote on my iPad. Noticed Web Clipper works great on my PC but can't get it to show up anywhere in Safari so I can capture a web page. Help!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Web clipper only works on the full Safari version on the computer. Safari mobile doesn't support plug-ins. You'll have to settle for copy&paste to get things into Evernote on the iPad.

betctru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.betsytruedesigns.com
If you create a bookmark in Safari for iPad, from any page, doesn't matter, then edit the bookmark (click on the bookmark button, navigate to the list with your new bookmark on it and then click "Edit"), you can add the functionality. It's very slow, at least on my iPad, but it works, at least for me.

Edit the title of the bookmark to say Evernote Web Clipper or whatever you want, then clear the address field and paste the following in to the address field:

Code:
javascript:(function(){EN_CLIP_HOST='http://www.evernote.com';try{var x=document.createElement('SCRIPT');x.type='text/javascript';x.src=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/public/bookmarkClipper.js?'+(new Date().getTime()/100000);document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(x);}catch(e){location.href=EN_CLIP_HOST+'/clip.action?url='+encodeURIComponent(location.href)+'&title='+encodeURIComponent(document.title);}})();

When using the bookmark on the webpage you want to copy, when the Evernote screen appears, click on "Clip Full Page" to clip the entire page, just as in the other versions. Just as in my Opera version, not all pages translate completely, FWIW.

Betsy
(if I don't use the "code" setting, a smiley face appears within the code. It's a very long line of code.)

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Nice! Thank you very much for this tip, betctru.

It is slow, but far better than nothing.

Extra things I noticed while setting up and experimenting:

Don't fortet to check the remember me box, or you'll have to log in every time. That seems to slow things down even further.

If you are using mobile Safari to copy the code from the forum, it will add 'Code:%20' onto the front of the script. This must be removed for it to work. I edited it in the bookmark, which was a pain. It would probably be easier to paste it to Notes, edit it there, and copy again before going back to Safari to edit the bookmark.

Besides copying the full page or just the URL, you can select content and make a note of only that. Getting images is a bit tricky though. You can't just select them in Safari. Instead you need to select nearby text, like the caption, and then drag the handles to include the images.

bachma0507

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been trying to do this for a couple of days now based on javascript code I found in a blog. Didn't work. This one works great though. Thanks!

betctru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.betsytruedesigns.com
Glad it's helpful for folks. I took the code from one of Evernote's other tools (I think the menu button for Opera or Firefox) and used it for the bookmarklet. Thanks, Twerppoet, for the additional tips.

GaryOfPgh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another way to do this for those of us who are frightened of " code" is to email a web page you want to keep to your Evernote email address. There is a video that shows you how at wn.com, just Google Web Clippings With Evernote.

Zch987

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found a good web clipper for iPad. Go to http slash slash colon lorenzocaum.com slash blog slash how-to-install-evernote-web-clipper-on-the-iphone-and-the-slash. (the reason the URL is in plain words is because a new member of this forum cannot invclude links or images until hr has posted at least 3entries!)

It worked for me and relatively fast.

Most reactions