What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Evernote Was Hacked And Your (Encrypted) Passwords Got Stolen

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, Kaykaykay--just did the password reset an hour ago. Geez, don't these hacks have better things to do then doing this and giving others a headache!

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh, that's why Skitch signed me out! Thanks for posting that link and clearing things up, Kaykaykay!

Last edited:
OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, that's why Skitch signed me out! THanks for posting that link and clearing things up, Kaykaykay!

This news came on the heels of Evernote's latest app upgrade messing up some people's accounts, so some people might sign back into their accounts not realizing the password risk. The key thing that Evernote should've immediately told all affected users: Change your password immediately, just in case.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if the hackers could tell me what my password is. I forgot it.

now that's too funny! ;)

This news came on the heels of Evernote's latest app upgrade messing up some people's accounts, so some people might sign back into their accounts not realizing the password risk. The key thing that Evernote should've immediately told all affected users: Change your password immediately, just in case.

It was funny, my Evernote app went a bit crazy for a second and starting switching my notebooks back and forth. Then it opened up to the log in page, which than re-directed me to my email. All good now!

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It was funny, my Evernote app went a bit crazy for a second and starting switching my notebooks back and forth. Then it opened up to the log in page, which than re-directed me to my email. All good now!

Yes, mine did the same thing on initial restart of the app. Then within minutes, I read about the hacking on a tech blog, at which point I changed my password. I've not gotten any communication from Evernote about the hack. I don't know whether that's because my password wasn't among those hacked, or because Evernote has just been slow (or negligent) about notifying users.

The thing with a lot of companies that have been hacked: They don't like to publicize that they have weak security. And they might not get around to letting customers know. That's part of the reason that I'm wary about cloud services. I use them only selectively, so that any of my data that I don't want possibly exposed is within my control, not theirs.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, mine did the same thing on initial restart of the app. Then within minutes, I read about the hacking on a tech blog, at which point I changed my password. I've not gotten any communication from Evernote about the hack. I don't know whether that's because my password wasn't among those hacked, or because Evernote has just been slow (or negligent) about notifying users.

The thing with a lot of companies that have been hacked: They don't like to publicize that they have weak security. And they might not get around to letting customers know. That's part of the reason that I'm wary about cloud services. I use them only selectively, so that any of my data that I don't want possibly exposed is within my control, not theirs.

I only received an email confirming that my password was requested then confirmed that it was reset. No mention of the account being hacked at all.

Yes, I don't trust cloud services so much. I don't keep anything valuable on it as well. However, I should back up my really delicious italian wedding soup recipe I keep on there somewhere else for now on!! ;)

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I only received an email confirming that my password was requested then confirmed that it was reset. No mention of the account being hacked at all.

Yes, I don't trust cloud services so much. I don't keep anything valuable on it as well. However, I should back up my really delicious italian wedding soup recipe I keep on there somewhere else for now on!! ;)

Yes, good to back up what you don't want to risk losing.

I got an email confirming my password change, too, and that was it. If I hadn't read about the hack on a tech blog, I'd still be using my old password, no thanks to Evernote.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, good to back up what you don't want to risk losing.

I got an email confirming my password change, too, and that was it. If I hadn't read about the hack on a tech blog, I'd still be using my old password, no thanks to Evernote.

Good thing you posted it for the rest of us so we were all alerted! I haven't caught up on my readings on maclife or cult of Mac...but I am sure there will be some mention of it there too!

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I quickly checked my email account to see of any suspicious activity!! How scary all of this is!!

I've noticed a recent uptick in spam, but can't tell what prompted it. I thought maybe Verizon was the culprit, because I signed up for its Redbox streaming video beta. But maybe Dropbox was my nemesis.

Most reactions

Latest posts