What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Error message imap.gmail.com settings ...cannot get mail

dgyuricza

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why do I keep getting the error message that I cannot open my mail (imap.gmail.com) and that I should check my mail settings? It was working fine until five days ago when I upgraded to IOS6. I compared my mail settings to my iPhone and they are the same.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know why you are getting the error. However, as a try at a solution, have you tried deleting the account from your iPad and then re-installing it (via the Settings app)? The update and the e-mail just may not have worked together - reloading the account may work...?

Marilyn

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
dgyuricza said:
Thanks...I'll try it now.

I wonder if you would be so kind as to let us know the results after you tried. Speaking for myself it's a good way of learning about my new iPad
Regards, Andrew

Tmac0816

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried it and it worked! Although I had to delete and re-add each email account separately at least everything synchs again!

amgiord

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know why you are getting the error. However, as a try at a solution, have you tried deleting the account from your iPad and then re-installing it (via the Settings app)? The update and the e-mail just may not have worked together - reloading the account may work...?

Marilyn

I'm having the same problem. If I delete the account as you suggested, won't it delete my folders and emails I have?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. If I delete the account as you suggested, won't it delete my folders and emails I have?

No, if you are dealing with an Exchange or IMAP account. The set-up on the iPad is, essentially, a mirror. It only shows you what there is on the server. So, by deleting the account and re-installing it, you are just "fixing" the connection.

So, for my Gmail account, everything that shows on the iPad is what I see on the web. Removing and adding the connection won't affect that.

Marilyn

ruthinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have same problem, mine is a POP account, but I have tried...deleting account and re-adding, Rebooting, changing password on server, what now???

And yes...mail works fine from web browser...worked for months...then suddenly not.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have same problem, mine is a POP account, but I have tried...deleting account and re-adding, Rebooting, changing password on server, what now???

And yes...mail works fine from web browser...worked for months...then suddenly not.

Where are you when you get these errors? Are you on your home network or away from it? POP mail is very limited, in that it's very difficult to use while away from your home network/ISP...

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts