What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Error during activation (imessage)

vmb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, everyone! I am new to the group. Have had my ipad for over 2 years but still don't know it all! I have a question. Back ground info-problem first started when I sent a message, showed not delivered . I have never received it before, but continued getting it. So I attempted to send message to a few other people and got same result. Then I found out that messages being sent to me were showing delivered on their end-and never coming to me! My internet connection is good, I am able to send and receive emails. Now I find I can not get into the App store, receive the same message.
"An error occurred during activation. Try Again" So I would really any help you can give me. I am really looking forward reading & learning from the forum.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
First, try resetting your iPad. This won't remove data or other information on your device.
To reset, press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears. Let go of both, the iPad will power up on it's own.

Make sure time and date are right in your settings.

Also look at your network connection. If it's very slow (or not working at all), this message (An error occurred...) can appear.

Go to Settings - iTunes & App Store. Tap your Apple ID there and sign out. That done, sign in again.

An update was released yesterday. Maybe updating your iPad to iOS 8.1.3, if it's an iPad 2 or later, will help with your problem.

OP
V

vmb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First, try resetting your iPad. This won't remove data or other information on your device.
To reset, press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears. Let go of both, the iPad will power up on it's own.

Make sure time and date are right in your settings.

Also look at your network connection. If it's very slow (or not working at all), this message (An error occurred...) can appear.

Go to Settings - iTunes & App Store. Tap your Apple ID there and sign out. That done, sign in again.

An update was released yesterday. Maybe updating your iPad to iOS 8.1.3, if it's an iPad 2 or later, will help with your problem.

Tried all sugesstions no sucess! When I tried iTunes 7App Store in settings could not sign in, But if I just go directly to App Store I seem to be signed in there.? Any other suggestions???

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you couldn't do it in the settings, try signing out and in again in the App Store.

OP
V

vmb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hate to lose all my data, so tried again to sign in & out in itunes & app store in setting and it works. Someone set my ipad up initally for me as it was a gift-so I am not sure it anything saved to the cloud or not. I hate to sound dumb, but am beginner here. Any other thought ?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Am I understanding this right? You are getting this message after trying to send/receive messages via the Messages app?

If so, try going to Settings > Messages and turn it off iMessages for a while. A few minutes should do the trick. Then turn it back on.

OP
V

vmb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not able to sign in, that is where I get activation error. Also same if I try to sign in directly to message app itself. Was just trying both again and started also receiving "check internet connection" I have connection,but it has been a little slower last few days. If speed is problem wouldn't it effect more apps? Message is only problem area

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hm. It could be a network issue. Try restarting your router. If you have another wi-fi network you can try, give that a go too.

Other than that I'm pretty much out of ideas.

OP
V

vmb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hm. It could be a network issue. Try restarting your router. If you have another wi-fi network you can try, give that a go too.

Other than that I'm pretty much out of ideas.

I reset router, didn't solve my problem. Still hoping for divine intervention, and I will not have to restore and lose all data. Chances seem slim to none, huh! Thanks for all suggestions

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Last thing I can think of for you to try before a restore.

Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. This will default a lot of the iPad's settings, but won't delete any apps, files, or account information.

Most reactions