What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Error 9, Won't Update/Restore Through iTunes?

michvtr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, my Ipad 4th Generation would go to the Apple Logo screen and won't boot-up. I went into DFU mode to reinstall the iOS through iTunes which restores and updates. In the process while doing this, I get an iTunes Error 9 Message. Browsing through countless forums, I found it to be a problem caused by the USB cable, so I went out and bought a new cable and it still didn't solve the error 9 problem.

In the process of updating, I noticed that my iPad would turn off abruptly during the update process and afterwards it turns off, the error 9 message appears on my computer. I've tried it with multiple computers and it still yield the same results.

I'm looking for a way to manually reinstall the firmware and then iOS since something seems be wrong deep within it and I think its a software issue rather than a hardware issue.

Any thoughts on this? Many thanks for your help, I appreciate it a lot.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you tried to update, did you go to Settings>General>Auto Lock and set it to never before you started the update? This might prevent it from turning off during the update.
Also, did you try downloading the iOS 9 update to iTunes on your computer and then trying the update? Do you have the latest version of iTunes installed on your computer? The current version is iTunes 12.3.0.44.
Finally, you could try a DFU restore of your iPad. This would wipe it and install the latest version of iOS. If this doesn't work you almost certainly have a hardware issue.

I'm making this post on my iPad 4 which I updated to iOS 9 through iTunes on my computer with no problems.

OP
M

michvtr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All of the above techniques you mentioned didn't solve the Error 9 problem.
At this point, I too certainly think that it is a hardware issue.
DFU seems to be at the firmware level and that didn't work.
Thanks for your help.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
All of the above techniques you mentioned didn't solve the Error 9 problem.
At this point, I too certainly think that it is a hardware issue.
DFU seems to be at the firmware level and that didn't work.
Thanks for your help.
I'm sorry you couldn't get it to work but if you're close enough to an Apple Store you could take your iPad in for a Genius Bar appointment to have a diagnostic done. If they can, they'll try a software fix or quote a hardware repair cost.
If you do take it in please let us know how it goes.

Edit: One last thought. Have you turned off or disabled any firewalls or anti virus software on your computer? If not, do so and try one last time to update.

Most reactions

Latest posts