What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Error 4005 in trying to upgrade from iOS 6.1.3 to iOS 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnWarierMage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I tried to do a full factory restore of my iPad 2 to get iOS 7 on it. It won't work, no matter what. It either keeps freezing or throwing this 4005 error.

Help, please?

-'Mage

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried to do the update to ios 7 over the air (OTA) instead? I didn't have to do a full factory restore as you did. I just made sure I had full charge on my iPad and plugged it to the main before beginning the update, OTA.

Error 4005 from my search implies " connect to iTunes."

You don't need to connect to iTunes in order to update, there is another option which is the update using wifi as mentioned above.

OP
U

UnWarierMage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
.... I'm jailbroken .... So that's why I'm trying to do the full factory restore.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I wondered that as I was posting. We have our content expert super moderators/members that can help you with this as well. Hang tight!

OP
U

UnWarierMage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, thank you!

EDIT: I gave the "foolproof restore" instructions a shot and right now I'm stuck at "Preparing iPad for Restore". hmm.....

Last edited:
OP
U

UnWarierMage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help, please? I've tried everything I can think of and still no luck.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You are using the iTunes on PC method? Try disabling your computer's firewall, if yo have one. Don't forget to turn it back on immediately after. This used to be a problem with some iOS updates. I don't know if it still is, but you can try and see.

OP
U

UnWarierMage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I've tried disabling AV and firewall and still no luck. And yes, I'm on a PC.

- ' Mage

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
At this point, if you have an Apple Store in reasonable proximity, I'd recommend making a genius appointment and seeing if they can sort it.

The other options might be to see if you can do anything using DFU mode to initiate a clean install of iOS. I'm not familiar with that approach, so if you have any questions try posting them in the Hacking section. Here is a link to the forum area. You'll find the DFU instructions in a sticky thread; at the top of the list of post if you in a web browser, in a separate tab if you are using the iPF app.

iPad Hacking

Be sure to read up on the procedure and reasons for using it before you do anything. As I said, I'm not that familiar with it and may be wrong on any of several points.

Good luck.

variszabi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same error, but: didnt enter to restore mode. Hold power+home gomb nothing happen. The display always black. But enter DFU. I try to restore: itunes give me error 4005 unknown error.
Any idea?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Same error, but: didnt enter to restore mode. Hold power+home gomb nothing happen. The display always black. But enter DFU. I try to restore: itunes give me error 4005 unknown error.
Any idea?

Hey, variszabi. As you've opened another thread with this issue of yours (link here: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=121699), I'm going to go ahead and close this one. It's hard to keep track of duplicate conversations and since yours is the newer question, let's keep responses to your issue over in your stand-alone thread.

Thanks for understanding and this thread is closed.

Marilyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions