What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Erased hotmail emails on ipad. But, still there when checked from my laptop!

Hcm17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi..

I've erased my Hotmail emails via my iPad, but when I check my email from my laptop, they're still there. Why? Can this be fixed? Thanks!

Btw, this forum is great! I dislike going to most forums to have questions answered, but this makes it super easy and convenient! thanks creator!

Reaction score
The issue you describe has to do with the way hotmail handles emails.

There are two common ways to access web emails, one is POP and the other one is IMAP. Now POP is somewhat outdated and the way it works is that the email client, such as Outlook access the server and then downloads the emails thus creating a local copy, but there is no true synchronization, so when an email is deleted locally, I.e. from your iPad, the web server does not know about this.

IMAP on the other hand synchronizes all email folders, so any email you moved locally will also be moved or deleted on the email server.

Hotmail only supports POP, so what you are asking for is technically not possible via hotmail. If you want to have all your emails synchronized, moved, deleted etc. across multiple devices, you will have to use an email provider which supports IMAP.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also once u delete, go to the trash bin and delete all or empty it

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The issue you describe has to do with the way hotmail handles emails.

There are two common ways to access web emails, one is POP and the other one is IMAP. Now POP is somewhat outdated and the way it works is that the email client, such as Outlook access the server and then downloads the emails thus creating a local copy, but there is no true synchronization, so when an email is deleted locally, I.e. from your iPad, the web server does not know about this.

IMAP on the other hand synchronizes all email folders, so any email you moved locally will also be moved or deleted on the email server.

Hotmail only supports POP, so what you are asking for is technically not possible via hotmail. If you want to have all your emails synchronized, moved, deleted etc. across multiple devices, you will have to use an email provider which supports IMAP.

That was a great explanation. Many thanks for taking the time to explain it so clearly.

Tim
Scotland

Reaction score
I am very sorry for the confusion I have caused with my previous post.

To get hotmail to function the way you want, follow this guide:
http://thetechjournal.com/electronics/iphone/steps-to-set-up-push-hotmail-on-iphone.xhtml

While my previous post accurately described the differences between POP and IMAP, it failed to take into account that hotmail can also be setup as an exchange account. So if you follow the above linked guide, then all emails will be synced both ways, emails deleted on the iPad will be deleted from the server, etc.. Once again, I apologize for posting outdated information.

jeremyalyea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am very sorry for the confusion I have caused with my previous post.

To get hotmail to function the way you want, follow this guide:
While my previous post accurately described the differences between POP and IMAP, it failed to take into account that hotmail can also be setup as an exchange account. So if you follow the above linked guide, then all emails will be synced both ways, emails deleted on the iPad will be deleted from the server, etc.. Once again, I apologize for posting outdated information.

OMG, you did it! You fixed it. This problem with hotmail has driven me nuts for over a year. I had to delete emails 3,4, sometimes 5 times. Thank you. If you have a paypal account send me a pm with your paypal address. Thank you!

Benlamd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Simple to fix

By now you're likely to have IOS 5 so all you need to do is delete your existing account in settings, mail, calendars etc and add new account, click the hotmail icon register your account details and set what you want to receive (calendar, mail, contacts etc) be sure to put no limit in the mail days options (default is 3 days) and tick all fields you want to come through to your iPad (inbox, deleted, junk etc)

IOS 5 has fixed this bug, if you don't have IOS 5 for some reason then when adding new account select MIcrosft exchange instead and leave domain empty, does the same thing. Simples

Most reactions

Latest posts