What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ePub ebook accessing a Word compatible wordprocessor

David Berghouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sea-change.com.au
I'm planning an ePub eBook (written in HTML) and within the eBook want to include links to a Word compatible wordprocessor and a PowerPoint Viewer on the iPad (presuming the user has these installed on their iPad).

Normally on a Windows computer this can ve achieved by a link such as these pointing to -
files/filename.doc
OR
files/filename.ppt

Will this work on an iPad ?
If not, is there any way of achieving this ?

Thanks,
David Berghouse

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge there is no way to do exactly what you want.

It is possible to create links that will open a file in an app, but the file needs to be in the app (not in the ePub), and the link needs to be generated in that app. Though it is part of iOS, it's up to the developer to provide the capability. GoodReader is an example of an app with internal links. Evernote can also do this, or used to anyway.

An alternative could be to provide links to a website/file/application, which would automatically open in Safari. This would take the reader out of the reading app to view. Not ideal, but the closest to what you want that I can think of, using the ePub format.

Another option is to abandon ePub and uses Apple's iBooks Author (you need a Mac). This format can include a number of media formats, and with more work some interactive elements. However, this limits you you to iBooks on the Mac or iPad as a reading platform. It also limits you to the iBooks Store unless the book is free; part of Apples licensing for iBooks Author.

If you give more details on what result/task you're after we might be able to offer other suggestions; but I'm guessing not. The iPad does not have the flexibility, integration, and power of the full Windows Office Suite; which is pretty much what you are describing.

OP
D

David Berghouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sea-change.com.au
twerppoet ...

Thanks for your detailed reply.
I'm checking out GoodReader to see if I can accomplish what I want to do.
As you say, it's not a perfect solution - and the end user of my eBook may find it a bit cumbersome, particularly as they would have to buy a copy of GoodReader to efectively use the eBook.
More research .......

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm still not sure exactly what you are trying to do, but most educational ebooks that need examples and such provide a resource website, and include the links to that site and a list of required apps.

It may require a bit more interaction from the user, since they would need to download and install the requited apps as well as go to the resource site for the files. But it would be far easier to implement.

It's not any different from a paper text book that needs, or wants, to include supplementary material and/or exercises.

On the other hand, if this is something you are doing not-for-profit, and you can associate yourself with an educational institution; you can include books, files, and lists of required apps in a course for iTunes U.

OP
D

David Berghouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sea-change.com.au
Thanks again for your reply.
It does appear that the iOS operating system will not support what I want to do.
So if this material is to reside on an iPad, rather than as an eBook I think it will involve the use of courseware of an authoring programme.
Or, even offering it as a course online.
David.

Most reactions