What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Enter password to buy apps in apps store help

xxcysxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello guys,
Recently I had this feature where I had to enter my password every time I wanted to download anything from the apps store on my iPad 2. I thought this is a very good feature to have, but just now I download another paid app from the app store and it didn't pop up a small dialogue box asking for the password. I tried to download a free app from the app store just to verify if it's some kind of glitch the first time and indeed it didn't ask for the password anymore. What's going on?
How do I get this feature back. If my little baby play with my iPad and start messes with the app store, my credit card will be charge to the hilt.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello guys,
Recently I had this feature where I had to enter my password every time I wanted to download anything from the apps store on my iPad 2. I thought this is a very good feature to have, but just now I download another paid app from the app store and it didn't pop up a small dialogue box asking for the password. I tried to download a free app from the app store just to verify if it's some kind of glitch the first time and indeed it didn't ask for the password anymore. What's going on?
How do I get this feature back. If my little baby play with my iPad and start messes with the app store, my credit card will be charge to the hilt.

To protect yourself you can turn off access to iTunes in the 'Settings' app...

'Settings', 'General', 'Restrictions', 'Allow', 'iTunes'->'Off'

Tim
Scotland

OP
X

xxcysxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the respond, but do you have any idea how to enable the password on apps download instead.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the respond, but do you have any idea how to enable the password on apps download instead.

I have noticed this too - sometimes I get asked for a password and sometimes I don't. I'm not aware of why this happens - it seems to be linked to whether or not I've closed the App Store in-between purchases.

Tim
Scotland

OP
X

xxcysxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Never mind, got it figured out. It's in the general restriction tab. It's working properly now. But why was it disabled?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad to hear!! The iPad has a mind of its own - it is truly a magical machine.

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is a 15, or was it 20, minute window after you purchase an app that it will not ask you for you password again. This allows you to buy multiple apps or do updates without constantly entering your password.

It used to be the same for in-app purchases, but Apple recently disabled that so it ask for a password every time. Something to do with complaints about $99 Smurf Berry purchases made by kids.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a 15, or was it 20, minute window after you purchase an app that it will not ask you for you password again. This allows you to buy multiple apps or do updates without constantly entering your password.

It used to be the same for in-app purchases, but Apple recently disabled that so it ask for a password every time. Something to do with complaints about $99 Smurf Berry purchases made by kids.

twerppoet to the rescue again. I'm going to start an iPad Forum campaign to persuade him to write the iPad book I seem to recall he admitted to occasionally thinking about. Many thanks - another gem!

Tim
Scotland

lkhs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Never mind, got it figured out. It's in the general restriction tab. It's working properly now. But why was it disabled?

Hi... i am having the same problem. Can you please me a hand and show me how to enable the "enter the password to download" feature again?

Thanks a million...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi... i am having the same problem. Can you please me a hand and show me how to enable the "enter the password to download" feature again?

Thanks a million...

Passwords are always enabled in iTunes. You can't turn them off. But there is a 15-20 minute time frame when the account remembers you've entered the password. Think of it like your lock screen. There is a window of use after unlocking where you can use it without having to unlock each time.

This is not true of in-app purchases. They should now require a password for every purchase.

Restrictions turn on/off your ability to access certain features and apps on the iPad. The only password is a four digit code that you need to enable and disable the restriction.

Go to the Settings app, then General >> Restrictions. In order to enable restrictions you'll have to enter a four digit code, twice. Don't forget the code. If you do the only way to undo the restrictions is to restore the iPad.

To stop the purchase of music, movies, etc turn off iTunes. To stop the purchase of apps, turn off Installing Apps, and you might as well turn off Deleting apps as well, to prevent accidents. You can also turn off In-App Purchases just to be thorough.

When you want to buy, install, or delete stuff you will have to go back into the settings and re-enable all this stuff. It is a bit of a pain to do things this way, but it is what we've got. As a bonus it tends to help stop impulse buys, since you have a few step to go through each time you decide you want something new.

Don't forget the passcode.

Stephen Belgium

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, my problem is the opposite . While my son was playing with the iPad I think he turned the restriction on as I never used it before .i cannot even do a total reset as you did the code. Any ideas please.

sstamnes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have recently updated my iPad 2 to iOS 6 and found that the App Store NEVER asks for a password regardless of how long it has been between opening the store. I checked the restrictions and they are all disabled. But here's where it gets interesting, my iPhone 4S is running iOS 5.1 and the restrictions are also disabled exactly the same way as the iPad but it does ask for a password. I am thinking this is a glitch or built in "feature" of the new App Store in iOS 6. I am not sure if the restrictions will change anything since they are set the same way between devices but I will certainly give it a try. I do not like not having to enter a password at all.

Most reactions