What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Enki Case - Cancelled / Ordered Speck SmartCase

BrianL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I pre-ordered an Enki Gear case for the iPad 2. And if you go to their Facebook page, you can see they are having all kinds of problems. To sum it up, terrible, terrible customer service, numerous delays and they had to re-do the case at the last minute due to some issues. The main issue is no communication with the customer. I finally was able to cancel before they shipped mine. I went ahead and ordered the recently released Speck SmartShell. Same concept case. Ordered today and it was shipped today. Exactly how it should be. I like that this case has a magnet on the other side so that you can wrap your Smart Case around the back while you are using the iPad and it stays in place.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm another of the many pre-order Enki customers and have experienced their customer service fiasco. I, too, considered canceling my order but have decided to stick with them for another week, or so. They claim to have shipped all orders received through 5/1 although it's currently impossible to confirm that claim since their order tracking system has failed.

It's a sad story from what I assume is a small US company trying to make it in a tough economy in a badly damaged state (Michigan.) That's why I've elected to stay with them for a bit longer, but I certainly understand your frustration.

Hopefully, the quality of their product will make up for the absolutely awful customer service situation. If so, and they get their act together, I hope to post a positive review of their product.

Azvjc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love spec products. If it had been out when I received my ipad2, I would have ordered it. I may order it anyway since it protects better than the joy factory.

Ulrich

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm another of the many pre-order Enki customers and have experienced their customer service fiasco. I, too, considered canceling my order but have decided to stick with them for another week, or so. They claim to have shipped all orders received through 5/1 although it's currently impossible to confirm that claim since their order tracking system has failed.
I got my order earlier this week. Don't have my iPad2, yet, so it really did not matter if I had to wait for the shipment from Enki an extra week or not.

Can't comment on the fit, yet, until I get the new iPad, but my first impression is good. No manufacturing flaws I can detect, no discolorations (I got the clear version), and I got everything they promised in their pre-order bonus offer.

Azvjc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a joy factory back case that I ordered before Spec released their back case. As soon as Spec released theirs, I ordered one. Like all of the Spec products i've ordered, it fits perfectly. The Spec case is noticeably thicker than the joy case, it offers more protection because it has fewer unprotected areas, and finally... The Spec case has a magnet on the back to hold the smart cover in place when folded back. I really like the magnet feature because I constantly found myself trying to hold the smart cover in place when the cover was folded back. Now, the cover stays in place automatically.

Joe

OP
B

BrianL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So... I ordered my case as you can see above, and cancelled it. Received a cancellation confirmation from Enki, a cancellation confirmation from Google Checkout indicating that my card was never charged. Then, yesterday, I received an Enki case while I was at work... my wife opened it, not knowing the situation and I found out when I got home. I checked online on my account and still, nothing has been charged to me. But I have to admit, I really, really like the case and the free pouch that came with it. Now, I just don't know if I should call them and let them know, or what. I really don't want to be charged for this and if that is the case then I guess I will send it back, I wish it would not have been opened but it was, by accident. But again, to my surprise, it is a nice case. It's the smoke color. The pouch is nice enough to do without a smart cover and just use it.

Hmmmm....

Azvjc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should definitely send it back. Being dishonest is never a wise choice in my opinion. While I can best be described as an atheist with a far-eastern religious philosophy, I find that with each dishonest act, you chip away at the moral fiber that makes us human. I also want to believe that you'll be treated in-kind with a for each dishonest act. Well... enough of the philosophy. I hope you send it back... coming back as a cockroach would suck :)

So... I ordered my case as you can see above, and cancelled it. Received a cancellation confirmation from Enki, a cancellation confirmation from Google Checkout indicating that my card was never charged. Then, yesterday, I received an Enki case while I was at work... my wife opened it, not knowing the situation and I found out when I got home. I checked online on my account and still, nothing has been charged to me. But I have to admit, I really, really like the case and the free pouch that came with it. Now, I just don't know if I should call them and let them know, or what. I really don't want to be charged for this and if that is the case then I guess I will send it back, I wish it would not have been opened but it was, by accident. But again, to my surprise, it is a nice case. It's the smoke color. The pouch is nice enough to do without a smart cover and just use it.

Hmmmm....

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got my order earlier this week. Don't have my iPad2, yet, so it really did not matter if I had to wait for the shipment from Enki an extra week or not.

Can't comment on the fit, yet, until I get the new iPad, but my first impression is good. No manufacturing flaws I can detect, no discolorations (I got the clear version), and I got everything they promised in their pre-order bonus offer.

Received mine as well. Unfortunately, I had already ordered a Speck version and it arrived the same day. I've decided to keep the Speck case, primarily because it includes a magnet that keeps the smart care cover in place when it's folded over the back. Nice touch. Likewise, the edges of the Speck case are slightly better finished than the ENKI.

My example of the ENKI case, however, was quite acceptable. It fits well and the extra swag in the form of the neoprene bag and screen protector combined with the slightly lower price is a plus. Haven't decided whether to return it or pass it on to someone else who needs a back cover.

I have a friend who is considering returning the cover she just bought and taking it. If she doesn't and someone else would like the case at 50% off, let me know via a personal message. (Apologies if this violates forum rules. Just trying to find a home for the product.)

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should definitely send it back. Being dishonest is never a wise choice in my opinion. While I can best be described as an atheist with a far-eastern religious philosophy, I find that with each dishonest act, you chip away at the moral fiber that makes us human. I also want to believe that you'll be treated in-kind with a for each dishonest act. Well... enough of the philosophy. I hope you send it back... coming back as a cockroach would suck :)

I disagree. I'd say call them, let them know what happened, then see what they say. If you're talking about moral fiber, it causes more harm to the environment to send it back than to hold on to it. Also, why waste your money on shipping for their error?

The worst thing that happens is they say "pay for it or pay to ship it back." The best thing that happens is they say "keep it." Either way, you made an honest call regardless and they're not getting unexpected opened merchandise at their door.

OP
B

BrianL

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I disagree. I'd say call them, let them know what happened, then see what they say. If you're talking about moral fiber, it causes more harm to the environment to send it back than to hold on to it. Also, why waste your money on shipping for their error?

The worst thing that happens is they say "pay for it or pay to ship it back." The best thing that happens is they say "keep it." Either way, you made an honest call regardless and they're not getting unexpected opened merchandise at their door.

Yea that's what I plan on doing. It was their error, so they can pay for return shipping. If they gave me the option to keep it but pay for it, I would only do it if they met me in the middle and charged me half.

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea that's what I plan on doing. It was their error, so they can pay for return shipping. If they gave me the option to keep it but pay for it, I would only do it if they met me in the middle and charged me half.

That's more than fair.

OP
B

BrianL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But again it really is a nice case ...at least the one they shipped me. Fits nice and tight. Thin around the edges where the Speck had thicker edges. When you look at the iPad straight on along the edges you can barely tell it has a case/shell on it.

Ulrich

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Announcement on their website I just came across:

Dear Enki Customers:

This month we shipped thousands of Enki Genius Cases for iPad2 around the world to our first customers. We were overwhelmed by the volume of Genius Case orders and experienced delays in shipping, tracking number distribution and customer service follow up.

As we distributed cases to customers, we listened to your feedback that the Genius case did not provide access to the iPad2 microphone and in some instances edges were not smooth.

We believe that the Genius Case should enhance the iPad2 experience and access to the microphone through the case is a must. We also believe that continuous improvement of the Genius Case is a requirement. Enki was established on the premise that we will provide exceptional products and customer service.

Over the past several weeks we have improved our product to address your feedback. The Genius Case design has been revised to accommodate the iPad2 microphone. The manufacturing process has been improved to remove rough and unfinished edges from the case.

Every customer that purchased an Enki Genius Case between April 14 - May 22, 2011 will receive a complimentary replacement case with the new microphone access and improved finish. Customers will receive a replacement Genius Case in their original order color.

If you received your original Enki Genius Case and wish to return it because of the covered microphone or rough edges, please keep the first case and your replacement case will ship within the next 10-14 business days. To make the shipping process faster we will not issue tracking numbers for the replacement shipment.

If after receiving your Genius case replacement you are still not pleased, we will honor your request for a refund upon receipt of the returned items.
Thank you for all of your kind letters of encouragement. We value your business and appreciate your support.

-Enki Management

--> Enki Genius Case Replacement Announcement

By the way, the screen protector that they included in their "bonus pack" is really nice. Better than the one I have on my original iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts