What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Energy saving

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am investigating the usefulness of an intelligent socket which turns off the power to a phone charger when the phone is fully charged. There are good energy and cost savings claimed.

Would such a device be worth using with an iPad or iPod charger?

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gas and electric prices are soaring in the UK. And despite reductions in wholesale prices. I will not talk about the politics.

However, I went to an online service where annual fuel bills can be reduced. Got a good duel fuel deal which will save us over 20% p.a. Why didn't I do this before!

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Richard Brown said:
I am investigating the usefulness of an intelligent socket which turns off the power to a phone charger when the phone is fully charged. There are good energy and cost savings claimed.

Just bumping this thread. Apple's products seem to be very energy efficient. Any thoughts on the accessories I mentioned? 

Last edited:

inbox788

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would save tiny amount, not worth it going beyond current energy savings goals.

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
inbox788 said:
It would save tiny amount, not worth it going beyond current energy savings goals.

Thanks

Some devices have dubious pay back periods.

Back in the 1960s the philosophy was that switching off lights didn't save much, and it wasn't worth the savings. Double glazing was the in thing.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

every little helps,we have so many devices these days that need charging,in my house we have a cordless phone and 2 mobiles,my mpb and ipad2,shaver,electric toothbrush lol,so yes anything that saves a bit of energy is worthwhile.

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I agree. The solar-powered chargers look like attractive sources of power, although slow to recharge batteries.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I agree. The solar-powered chargers look like attractive sources of power, although slow to recharge batteries.

people think that what little they save isnt really worth it but multiply that by the millions of households in the uk and its huge,solar power is the way forward,in years to come all homes will have solar power of some sort,panels ect,batteries are slow to charge i suppose but overnight or when you,re not in a hurry,trouble is we use what is convenient and quick

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Solar powered and battery powered systems are developing in leaps and bounds. I suppose today's mobile phones, compared with the early bricks are an example. The size of keyboard is the new physical limit, apart from the ergonomics of us humans being accommodated.

I keep an interest in electric cars.

Back to iPads and iPods. Solid state circuitry certainly helps for better battery life between charges, as well a rapid boot ups. (spoken by a non-professional, just a keen user)

Most reactions

Latest posts