What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ending apps fully?

Everett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Folks,

My question relates to apps and closing of them. I'm wondering if they are running in the background and consuming battery power even though I have "homed" my way out of them. Pandora, for instance, seems to be lurking ready to play more music, even though I have pushed the home button on the iPad. I'm not used to how tablets handle their applications. They don't seem to "close" like applications I run on my traditional desktop pc. The only reason I care is that my battery life doesn't seem to be what it ought to be. I haven't timed its longevity precisely but I don't think I'm getting the advertised 10 hours on one charge.

Reaction score
Double press the home button, the open apps will appear at the bottom,press any one until a minus sign shows up in the upper left corner of the open apps, tap the minus sign on the ones you want to close.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have an iPad 1 or 2? Have you updated to 4.3.1?

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm getting pretty good battery life on my iPad2 (not updated to 4.3.1), but I always make sure to shut down the apps once I'm done with them. I have a 3G model, so I keep the the cellular service off (unless needed) and turn off the WiFi before shutting it down overnight. Actually, I keep the WiFi off unless I need it.

Reaction score
If your iPad is running iOS 4.2 or newer, you can follow Mountainbikermark's excellent instructions, but if you happen to still run iOS 3.2, then apps close automatically by pressing the home button and there is thus no need to close them manually.

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
does that make a difference? If so I apologize for my ignorance in my post, thought it was the same for both and started with 4.2

4.3.1 was rumored to bring some minor battery life improvement

OP
E

Everett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the great tips. I'm using an iPad 2 running the latest system [4.3.1].
I'll make a point of closing apps using the double click of home, etc.. method.
I'm leaving the iPad sitting overnight [not charging] with just the "magic cover"
shutoff method in play and I'm curious how much, if any, the battery depletes overnight.

mortendall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my experience (especially on the iPhone) you have to shut down all apps in the multitasking bar every once in a while, to avoid strange things happening and apps crashing. I don't know if there is any relation to battery life.

Which brings me to my next point: why on earth didn't Apple make a 'close all apps'-button? It drives med mad having to shut down 15+ apps by tapping that elusive minus button. :mad:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An app that is in the 'background' can only perform certain tasks. So, for example, if you're running a calculation using a spreadsheet app that takes 1 hour to complete, switching that spreadsheet app out will stop the computation. The iPad remembers the 'context' of the app when it was switched out and that enables it to re-instate the app into exactly the same state it was when it was last switched out.

If you want to know what apps are allowed to do when they're 'switched out' then you can read this document from Apple...

What's New in iOS 4 - Apple Developer

It details the activities that apps are allowed by iOS to perform while suspended.

Tim
Scotland

OP
E

Everett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my experience (especially on the iPhone) you have to shut down all apps in the multitasking bar every once in a while, to avoid strange things happening and apps crashing. I don't know if there is any relation to battery life.

Which brings me to my next point: why on earth didn't Apple make a 'close all apps'-button? It drives med mad having to shut down 15+ apps by tapping that elusive minus button. :mad:

I agree with that! I think it would make alot of sense and probably
help performance.

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mortendall said:
I wouldn't want to do this as there will probably users that say OMG my app that I didn't want shut down got closed and I have to re-do something! I bet some enterprising developer has made one though...

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
GlenL said:
I wouldn't want to do this as there will probably users that say OMG my app that I didn't want shut down got closed and I have to re-do something! I bet some enterprising developer has made one though...

There is a nice jailbreak tweak called RemoveBackground which clears all apps in the switcher at once exactly as you describe. You can link it to a gesture (such as a swipe), button press, or a toggle in sbsettings. One of my favourites, and another great reason to jailbreak!

Also, closing an app should never result in dataloss of any significance. Most apps still save their state before they shut down cleanly...

Reaction score
XSysInfo can clean the iPad's memory completely. It cleans the RAM either when restarting, or by pressing the refresh button (circle) in the app. This is for non-jb devices.

The app icon's will still be in the Multitaskbar, but it is, as if they were closed.

added info about refresh button

Last edited:
Reaction score
^^^ that is an awesome app . Does so much more than just clean up . I can now get real numbers I've missed about using ios and under $2 American. It's like a reboot only in a second vs a minutes and I can see what my iPad is doing,real free memory and processes.
Once again you have affirmed why you are my Ipad hero.
Thank you so much.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts