What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Encryption Technique for ipad / iphone

Mahesh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to know is there any Encryption Technique provided for the iPhone or iPad SDK. It might be free source or commercial, please let me know.

Thanks,
Mahi

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to know is there any Encryption Technique provided for the iPhone or iPad SDK. It might be free source or commercial, please let me know.

Thanks,
Mahi

Are you looking for RSA or DES or something more esoteric? Is this for VPN style encryption or encrypting files for onward transmission or even secure emails - like PGP?

Tim

OP
M

Mahesh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It Should be supporting to AES and DES. I want it just for decryption.
It is VPN type i.e. i need these one for making secure connections.

Mahi

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPhone and iPad have native support for Cisco IPSec, L2TP over IPSec, and PPTP.

Are you looking for the APIs in the SDK for these protocols?

Tim

OP
M

Mahesh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think ur right. Thanks for ur response.
Can u point me to some of the API's provided in SDk?
that will be helpful for me.

Mahi

MarquetSkware

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Crypanalysis

Use anything with caution! The cryptosystem is only as secure as the host that it's running on.

Apple has been known to leave back doors open in iPhone and iPad systems, and has even patented some of them. Your encrypted data will only be as secure as Apple wants it to be. (Google for Apple's so called "Security Patent" to see just how insecure they can make it for you!)

I wouldn't use any of these devices to store innovative new ideas pre-patent, or top secret government information! Someone somewhere has the ability to access and download anything on your device. As long as there is a transmitter attached to the system which you cannot disable, and memory space which you cannot monitor, there's always the risk of remote compromise by someone somewhere. And since they have the baseband encrypted, there is no way to even detect a compromise!

Currently, they make available location information to law enforcement agencies by 'pinging' the phones. Apple's latest patent will allow for remote collection of 'forensics dumps' which means they can download anything on the phone, and open up all cameras and microphones in order to surreptitiously monitor the environment around the device. There are currently very little restrictions and it doesn't require a court order. That means that someone working for a law enforcement agency can 'ping' the phone without going through proper checks and balances. The potential for abuse is very real!

I personally wouldn't trust anything with a 3G data transmitter for anything important!

Last edited:

jc67989

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MarquetSkware said:
I personally wouldn't trust anything with a 3G data transmitter for anything important!

Yikes... Your post blew my mind. All of this is new to me. Why is a wifi-only device more secure (or is it?)

Most reactions