What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Encountered a problem during restore after upgrade to 5.01

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello.

I didn't know well enough to disable my Antivirus software while I was doing the entire backup/update/restore process, and during the backup process, my antivirus software nailed 3 "suspect" files and I tried to identify them as "false-positives" but, it required a whole list of information that I didn't know.

The "filename" was pretty cryptic, but, it was something that was being done during the backup of my iPad before iTunes did the 5.01 install.

Anyway, where I was in the process didn't seem to be a point that I could stop anything, so I let it proceed, and, when iTunes attempted to "Restore from Backup" to put everything back in place after upgrading to 5.01, the backup failed 2x with an Error -20.

Basically the only choice I had was to set up as it was and delete the old "corrupt" backup, and I chose on the iPad to use my existing Apple ID, and then sync with iTunes which put some things back. So, I proceeded to do the Jailbreak process which went fine, (seems to have), and then connected to iTunes, and after it did it's thing, I found my Apps, I clicked the check box on all the apps, and clicked Apply.

Now, my problem. When I swipe from screen to screen, it freezes about 1/2 way for a few seconds, and then finally goes. As I am trying to re-organize everything into my folders again, I can barely move the icon a few millimeters before it freezes in position for 5 to 8 seconds, and then snaps to the nearest spot. Reorganizing everything with this going on is proving impossible. Cannot figure out what in the world went wrong.

I have completely powered off the iPad 2x, and tried to organize again. It is still freezing being sluggish.

Any ideas on how I can fix this and still be jailbroken?

I have iPad 1, and used redsn0w, and iTunes did the d/l from Apple on 5.01.

Thanks in advance.

Bossman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally, I think it would be best to restore the device to a standard "non jailbreak" state before proceeding further. See if the problem still occurs then. It may be that the jailbreak process you used corrupted something in the OS.

Best of luck

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have installed a JB tweak which is not compatible with IOS 5. Can you list out what you have installed so far?

It certainly should not be behaving like that.

OP
G

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I only chose Infiniboard and Winterboard, but, if I go to Cydia, I see under Installed, Big Boss Icon Set, Bug Fix: Duplicate Icons, Bug Fix: Stuck Pages, Cydia Installer, Cydia Translations, Infiniboard, Mobile Substrate, Substrate Safe Mode and Winteboard. Most of these must have been automatic. Could one of these be causing my problem?

I hate to un-jailbreak for fear of losing it....but, if I can un-jailbreak and do it again in short order while 5.01 is still being signed, it is worth a try.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try removing Infiniboard, then Winterboard (do them separately) and see if either resolve the issue. The rest of the stuff is standard (and required) so leave that alone.

Both those should be fine, but always best to check. Let us know if the lag disappears. Also, let me know what versions of those you have installed (you can see in Cydia if you click on the package).

OP
G

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Leigh. It appears that Infiniboard must have been the problem.

I had Winterboard 0.9.3903, and removing that did not solve the issue, and Infiniboard 1.81-1, and removing that did, but, I am going to miss that mod.

Is it possible that something went wrong with the install, or, is that Infiniboard just not signed for 5.01?

Glad at least this part of the issue is solved.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
glen4cindy said:
Thank you Leigh. It appears that Infiniboard must have been the problem.

I had Winterboard 0.9.3903, and removing that did not solve the issue, and Infiniboard 1.81-1, and removing that did, but, I am going to miss that mod.

Is it possible that something went wrong with the install, or, is that Infiniboard just not signed for 5.01?

Glad at least this part of the issue is solved.

Yes, I would certainly try it again. It should be OK on 5.x. Maybe a bad install...

Most reactions

Latest posts